🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client private feedback
Page options
markob_rock
Community Member

Client private feedback

If a client leaves a bad private feedback, how cant he change it ?

My client just got here, and he didn't know anything about feedbacks. He is not sure if he left a good feedback or bad one. I'm speaking about private ones. He wants to contact the service to see did he left the good one, or to change it if it was bad.

How he can do that ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
abdulrazaq89
Community Member

Dear Mark, 

When you click 1-10, ten means client likes everything you did and when you choose 9,8,7..... you can understand how much the client satisfied the work you completed. 

You (clients/workers) cannot change your private feedback. There is no way to change it. 

You can check its affect when JSS updates after 15 days. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
abdulrazaq89
Community Member

Dear Mark, 

When you click 1-10, ten means client likes everything you did and when you choose 9,8,7..... you can understand how much the client satisfied the work you completed. 

You (clients/workers) cannot change your private feedback. There is no way to change it. 

You can check its affect when JSS updates after 15 days. 

Why can't clients change their private feedback when you enable them to change their feedback? The private score is likely more important than the public rating, and many clients do not realize that a 7-8 can drop a score, thinking it's perfectly fine and/or won't affect the freelancer's job score. 

i think private feedbacks are very unfair and everythings are against freelancers on upwork.
for example one of my last clients asked me sometthings that was more than we agreed and when i raised up my price she was unhappy. with private feedbacks, i am force to agree with everything client ask me and do that. now my JSS is droped down due to i told her you have to pay more.
and she gave me good public feedabck but with bad private feedback.
i think it should be design better by upwork, and be judge by upwork.
i really took many times and provide good quality for her job, but finally i gave bad feedback, it's really really unfair and i am very unhappy with this role.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately it`s not possible to change private feedback as we want to make sure users don't try to manipulate it. . Your client can only change the public feedback by enabling this feature on your contract.

~ Goran
Upwork

I think as I am sure many other freelancer do once they become aware of it that the private feedback is just a wee bit unfair. I personally had no idea about it. If a freelancer could at least see it that I think would be one step in the correct direction. Being forbidden from seeing it does not allow us, the ones doing the work and making the relationship happen as well as trying to grow it... change anything. Not the score but it does not allow us to know what the client did not like and did like in any sort of real manner. It seems a bit odd that a client can leave you a 5 star public rating and then leave you a poor private rating so your score like in my case drops 20% but I have 12 jobs with 10 jobs as 5 stars and 2 as 4 stars... so I have prospects asking me why my score is so low...

Totally agree. At the very least the client should be made aware that the way they end a contract has permanent consequences for the contractor.

petra_r
Community Member

@Jake B wrote:

Totally agree. At the very least the client should be made aware that the way they end a contract has permanent consequences for the contractor.

Nothing is permanent.

Apart from death, perhaps.

No, seriously, clients should leave honest feedback, that's all. What would be the point if everyone left maximum scores for every freelancer?

It is not about leaving always maximum score. I agree to being rated how client feel, but e.g I had situation that client closed contract by misunderstanding and left inadequate feedback for my work. What i can do is to allow change public feedback, but the private one will hurt my JSS. It is factor out of my hand. I can do my best best trying to satisfy client and small misunderstanding can hit JSS. In my opinion it should be editable.

Upwork should not allow clients to leave public and private feedback that are significantly different. Cowards should be made to step up and be honest, because the current system always works against the freelancer - or should we believe there are many clients who leave very negative public feedback and very positive private feedback?

Freelancers do not discuss feedback with clients.

They certainly do not discuss private feedback with clients.

Private feedback is private. That is how the system is designed.

Of course private feedback can not be changed. That is intentional.

I imagine every freelancer's experience is different, but I often have clients I don't hear from for weeks on end. As a result, I don't always know when they consider I am done working on their project.

So, at some point I ask them if the project is complete and, if it, is I ask them to close the project on Upwork's system and I look forward to leaving excellent feedback for them. If the project is not complete, they can let me know. Some do, some don't. Eventually, I just close projects after I haven't heard from the client for a couple of months.

I have never had a client complain about this approach. And I only say I'll leave excellent feedback if I actually plan to leave excellent feedback. The blessedly few and far between clowns I occasionally have as clients wouldn't be fooled by me saying I will leave excellent feedback for them.

bloxofcode
Community Member

I recently lost my "Rising Talent" badge due to a client probably giving a bad private feedback when the public feedback he gave me was a 5 star. Isn't this unfair? Like they can say you are a 5 star but in private they actually think you are bad. I think there should be more transparency and us freelancers should be told where we went wrong instead of us being misled by a public feedback and just waking up to losing your badge or low success rate for a reason you don't know. 

@Ella Sherilyn R wrote:

I recently lost my "Rising Talent" badge due to a client probably giving a bad private feedback when the public feedback he gave me was a 5 star. Isn't this unfair? 

Indeed. They could have left a bad private feedback and a bad public feedback. Would you have felt better?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I would prefer a bad review that I know of rather than being clueless where I went wrong. 

Upwork's system shouldn't allow clients to leave private and public star ratings that are more than one star different.

Vindictive clowns and snowflake cowards who hide behind the current system shouldn't be able to game freelancers' Job Success Scores.

dawidpstrak
Community Member

I had a situation that client closed the contract by misunderstanding. He thought that work in current shape is finished. After clarification he apologies and reopened the contract. He told me that he left 7/10 private feedback and 4,6/5 public, but after we clarify situation and I showed the real current progress on project to the client, he agreed to change feedback. I think Upwork system should be improved for such situations, because this is my biggest contract I had on Upwork and I am sure that 7/10 private feedback with biggest contract will lower my jss. I am only able to allow client to change public feedback. That is bad because missunderstanding and factors that are out of my hands can destroy my reputation.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths