🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client's maximum pay for job
Page options
elblondee
Community Member

Client's maximum pay for job

Is there a way to require the Client to put the maximum amount for their budget in their job posts?

4 REPLIES 4
dataextract
Community Member

That is what they are specifying in the Estimated Budget value in the project post, isntit?

Ramesh is correct with regards to how the Upwork user interface works.

But to further address Ellen's question...

Technically, when a client creates a job post, there is no "maximum amount I am willing to pay" field.

I'm not sure such a field is necessary.

The truth of the matter is that MOST clients:

"want something done"

Most clients are not:

"looking to pay a certain amount."

Clients want value.

So if a client hires me to do a project thinking that it will cost $1000...

It is common for the client to spend $5000 or more.

Because the client found great value in the work. And wanted to take things further. Paying $5000 when one thought she was going to pay $1000 can be a great value.

Let me see if I can explain.  When I applied for these past two jobs, I requested $13/hr (to give me $10.40/hr) even though Upworks recommended me requesting $24-30 (due to expertise).  But when the Client responded back, this is when they inform me of what they are willing to pay.  One of them was only $9/hour even though their posting listed it as and Intermediate ($$) job.  Same with this other job that I went ahead and took due to needing $$.  He responds back $7/hr (giving me less than min wage).  I finally got him up to $10/hr,  But I think this amount should be in the original posting, because I would not have applied for it if I had known.  These both should have been posted as Entry ($) level jobs.

There was also more involved in both of the jobs than what they listed as well.

Now does that make sense?

Up work is a playground where adults play.  Both you and buyers are free to negitiate whatever.  In my case whenever I see a $50 fixed price job that wants a moon  I put in my hourly rate and tell them that it is my hourly rate.  Most times I lose, but some times I win.

I don't have conclusive data, but it seems to me that I ruin cheapskate buyer's posting (becasue my bid gets advertized at a much lower rate then the posting.  Most freelancer's have learned that majority of buyers are cheapos.  They wouldn't want to waste their connects by under bidding me).

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths