🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client sent me a check?
Page options
johann_0808
Community Member

Client sent me a check?

Hello,

I was contacted about a job that I sent a proposal to and everything so far has seemed a bit weird. I was essentially interviewed through e-mail and was notified later on that I was hired. The client asked for my full name, number, and address. I gave him my phone number and name but did not provide my address. I told him that I needed verification that it was really him so he sent me a verification message from his work e-mail which was the same e-mail I found from his company website. He then sent me a check through e-mail for the laptop and programs I would need to do the job. He instructed me to deposit the check and send him the confirmaion e-mail that the check was deposited. Should I be cautious or go through with this job since he did e-mail me from his company e-mail?

26 REPLIES 26
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

SCAM!

The check will bounce. Your bank will close your account. You could be prosecuted for fraud. Upwork will banish you because you accepted money (even fake money) outside the system.

RUN!!!!

There is no laptop. There is no job. There is only SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Johann,

I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
lorrie-sf
Community Member

I have a similar question.  I recently accidently cancelled a job from a client, I had given him my number and he texted me that he stil wanted me to do the date entry.  I figured he resubmitted me to work for him, so I gave him my address and he plans to send me a check for printer and payment.  I realized "how do I pay Upwork?"  So, I need to know how to proceed with this.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Lorrie S wrote:

I have a similar question.  I recently accidently cancelled a job from a client, I had given him my number and he texted me that he stil wanted me to do the date entry.  I figured he resubmitted me to work for him, so I gave him my address and he plans to send me a check for printer and payment.  I realized "how do I pay Upwork?"  So, I need to know how to proceed with this.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

You need to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Why does the client not work with freelancers who already have a printer?

2. Does this task really require any print-outs?

3. Why can only freelancers in the US apply?

4. If it is a scam, how does it work? 

Here the answers:

1. Because it's a scam.

2. No

3. Because other countries don't use checks any longer and therefore the check-cashing scam does not work.

4. You receive a check, you cash the check at your bank, then you purchase some goods for the client e.g. on Amazon. A week later the check bounces, and you lost your money. You could also be suspected of money laundering. Another freelancer has told his story about being arrested at the bank, so there's a lot of things that can happen once you get involved in this. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lorrie, 

Please stop communicating with the client, as this is considered a scam, and in violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

@ Martina (and a bit OT - apologies!),

Just a heads up. I have a UK and French checkbook. So "other countries" do use checks. I use both my checkbooks for certain payments. And I am still paid by check by some (non-Upwork) clients in France. In supermarkets in my part of the world (Brittany) people can also pay by check. They generally have to show a  passport or driving licence and the details are entered manually on the back of the check! It can drive you mad if you are in a hurry and you get stuck behind them. It's like driving behind a tractor when you have a plane  to catch! 

Nichola L wrote:

@ Martina (and a bit OT - apologies!),

Just a heads up. I have a UK and French checkbook. So "other countries" do use checks. I use both my checkbooks for certain payments. And I am still paid by check by some (non-Upwork) clients in France. In supermarkets in my part of the world (Brittany) people can also pay by check. They generally have to show a  passport or driving licence and the details are entered manually on the back of the check! It can drive you mad if you are in a hurry and you get stuck behind them. It's like driving behind a tractor when you have a plane  to catch! 

I know other countries still use checks. I am just trying to scare the newbies straight.

Martina P wrote:
[...]

I know other countries still use checks. I am just trying to scare the newbies straight.

Well I agree with the sentiment, except that your statement about other countries not using checks is misleading and incorrect. So it only adds to the confusion, rather than scaring.  

renata101
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Johann,

I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

Bojan,
I want to float this out to the management at UpWork. Although I know they don't like to publically acknowledge that the platform is a great playground for scammers, I think they could do a lot more to increase awareness among new freelancers that dangers do exist when you work online.

My suggestion is to add an online safety module that covers some basic types of scams to the New Freelancer's Course and maybe even add a few questions on this to the UpWork Readiness Test.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Online-Course-for-new-Freelancers/m-p/148997?collapse_...

Renata S wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Johann,

Thank you!

Bojan,
I want to float this out to the management at UpWork. Although I know they don't like to publically acknowledge that the platform is a great playground for scammers, I think they could do a lot more to increase awareness among new freelancers that dangers do exist when you work online.

My suggestion is to add an online safety module that covers some basic types of scams to the New Freelancer's Course and maybe even add a few questions on this to the UpWork Readiness Test.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Online-Course-for-new-Freelancers/m-p/148997?collapse_...

This oh-so-obvious suggestion has been made oh-so-many, many times (by me and others) ... and it always falls on very deaf ears. I've often wondered if it has something to do with being a means to catch FLs willing to take things off-site - that's the only logical explanation I can think of for refusing to educate clueless newbies.

Virginia F wrote:

This oh-so-obvious suggestion has been made oh-so-many, many times (by me and others) ... and it always falls on very deaf ears. I've often wondered if it has something to do with being a means to catch FLs willing to take things off-site - that's the only logical explanation I can think of for refusing to educate clueless newbies.

Virginia,

Believe me, I feel your pain and I share your cynicism. I thoroughly enjoyed that Lily Tomlin quote Anthony brought up recently ("No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough"). And realistically, I know that, even if they did this, people might not read it. I just know that it's not always a lack of smarts that causes people to fall for stuff like this. Newbies are sometimes especially vulnerable because the desire to make money sometimes causes people to suspend their disbelief in strange ways.

If you've ever taken Intro Psyc, I think psychologists might refer to the responses we get from UW as a variable-ratio reinforcement schedule. The way it works is that, if there's only a pay off once in a blue moon, you can get hooked on the idea that if you keep trying, you'll get a hit. So like the pigeons who normally participate in studies of gambling behavior, I keep thinking that maybe if I peck at it just one more time, someone will get it.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-schedule-of-reinforcement-2794864
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06641-x

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Renata,

I appreciate your suggestion that will contribute to the improvement of safety on the platform. I'll gladly share this with our team for further consideration.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Renata,

I appreciate your suggestion that will contribute to the improvement of safety on the platform. I'll gladly share this with our team for further consideration.

Thank you.

It's already been "shared with the team" a  thousand times over.  Smiley Frustrated

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Please type "scam" into the search bar of the Community Forum and do some reading.

Please think about in what universe a 'client' would send money to some dude they met on the Internet who wouldn't even give them his address. 😉

Phyllis G wrote:

Please type "scam" into the search bar of the Community Forum and do some reading.

Please think about in what universe a 'client' would send money to some dude they met on the Internet who wouldn't even give them his address. 😉

In what universe do clients feel compelled to purchase office equipment for strangers on the internet? Why do they not work with freelancers who already own a laptop, or a printer? 

Wondering how a freelancer can even BE on this INTERNET site without a laptop or computer.

Kathy T wrote:

Wondering how a freelancer can even BE on this INTERNET site without a laptop or computer.

exactly! But then this wonderful generous client comes along who wants to buy her/him a new laptop! Life is great! (sad head shaking...)

524c1b02
Community Member

I have the same exact situation, with my first proposal. It sounded fishy and the client wanted to give me a lot of money to buy some "equipment" for a transcriber job. which only requires a laptop.

I attached pics of the skype convo and ad for the transcriber job

Joti, think about it  - would a stranger send another stranger thousands of dollars over the internet?? 

PLEASE be aware that any and all conversations prior to an Upwork contract MUST be on Upwork, not Skype, not email, not anything but Upwork.  By having a Skype conversation, you were breaking the TOS big time.  Please take the time to read everything you can on how Upwork functions so that you don't lost your profile.

Hi Joti,

Please send me a PM with more information about this report so I can check. You can click on my name to send me a PM. I'd also like to confirm that the information Mary shared with you is correct. Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is established is a violation of Upwork TOS. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Joti M wrote:

I attached pics of the skype convo and ad for the transcriber job

1. It's a scam.

2. Skype before hire can get you suspended. You seem to be very unaware of ToS to even try posting your not-allowed activity on a public forum. 

brittanyterry09
Community Member

This same thing just happened to me. I sent the same info that Johann M did, should I be worried about them trying to use my phone number now?

The same thing as what happened to you?  Do you mean that you gave a client contact details (even your home address), which is a violation of Upwork's terms of service for a start? You should be worried on many levels: 

If you cashed the check, then your bank will be contacting you shortly. 

You risk losing your account on Upwork

The scammer now has your details, which, as Preston points out, is the least of your worries. 

Your portfolio  also gives your personal contact information - another violation of Upwork's terms. 

If you want to survive as a freelancer, I would suggest you read all the help pages (and Upwork's terms of service) on this site, which also means becoming internet savvy and being aware of the scams out there - not just on one site. 

brittanyterry09
Community Member

Did you ever have any issues with them trying to hack any of your accounts after they had your name and phone number?

re: "Did you ever have any issues with them trying to hack any of your accounts after they had your name and phone number?"

Your name is already out there, as is your phone number.

Your name and phone number exist in thousands of databases accessible from countless websites and tools, some of which require a subscription, some which don't.

If you want to make sure that people don't hack into your online accounts, make sure that you are careful about your usernames and passwords. Make sure your passwords have sufficient complexity. Change your passwords if you need to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths