🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client shared their contact information befor...
Page options
5ead8887
Community Member

Client shared their contact information before the contract has taken place.

Hi,

We were discussing about the project and the client casually shared their discord ID and asked me to add them there. At first I said yes but then I remembered that it was a violation of TOS as any contact information is not to be shared before the contract has taken place. I told this to the client and have not added them on discord. Can I still get reported for saying yes to the message? 

I'm really worried as I have 100% JSS and been recently promoted to Top-Rated and it was a long and painful road.

Kind regards,
 **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for following the TOS. Just make sure that you don't actually engage in off-platform communication with your client before a contract starts. If needed, the team would reach out to you directly to get clarification. You can also remind your client to keep all communication on Upwork until a contract is in place.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LuiggiR

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for following the TOS. Just make sure that you don't actually engage in off-platform communication with your client before a contract starts. If needed, the team would reach out to you directly to get clarification. You can also remind your client to keep all communication on Upwork until a contract is in place.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5ead8887
Community Member

Thank you very much Luiggi!

I would love to help clarify your team any doubts etc.

carlosfung
Community Member

Hi, "Just make sure that you don't actually engage in off-platform communication with your client before a contract starts". I have to share confidential information with my client. I have a contract yet. It is possible to share my contact information (email user)??

re: "I have to share confidential information with my client."

That is fine.

You are welcome to share confidential information with this client using the Upwork Messages tool.

You may share confidential information with clients using the Upwork Messages tool at any time: Before a contract has started, or after.

re: "I do not have a contract yet. It is possible to share my contact information (email user)?"

BEFORE you are hired, you may not use email to communicate with a prospective client.

AFTER you have been hired, you may use email or any other method to communicate with a client.

Question: What if I need to share confidential information BEFORE I have been hired?
Answer: You may use the Upwork Messages tool to share that information.

Question: May I share confidential information with a client using email BEFORE I have been hird?
Answer: No.

Question: What if I don't want to share confidential information using the Upwork Messages tool?
Answer: You don't have to use the Upwork Messages tool to share confidential information. If you want to use another method, such as email, then the client can hire you, and then you can use email or any other tool.

Question: Is the Upwork Messages tool secure?
Answer: Yes.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths