Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client unresponsive after receiving the complete work

Community Leader
Abdulmoti S Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
1 of 22

Hi everyone,

I am new here and had some successful jobs, however there is one client who wanted a translation urgently with tight schedule and I have submitted the work on time, but the client is unresponsive, and I have noticed the client's payment methods are unverified, the client has 4 active hires with the same deadline but deadlines passed, work received. I am a bit concern about the client's unresponsiveness though the client was rushing the work to be done. Do you think this is one more reason to avoid clients with unverified payment methods? Was taken for a fool? What should I do? Though the contract is still active. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 22

Fixed? Hourly? Milestone founded? 

If you don't say much we can't help much.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

Community Leader
3 of 22

The proposal says hourly and demands to translate few thousand words urgently. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 22

Clients are not required to respond to you at all.

I am paid for all my work whether or not the client responds.

If you used Upwork properly for this work, by making sure that the client is payment verified before commencing work, and by logging your hourly work with the time-tracker application, then you will be paid.

Of course you only should work after accepting an official hire offer and seeing that the job appears on your "My Jobs" page.

If you do not get paid, it is your fault, not the client's fault.

Community Leader
5 of 22

Thank you, I did track the time, I was just concern the unvarified part, if the client is unverified and I believe the rules say there are no grantees of payment with unverified client. And also I am surprised how urgency was important to the client and yet after delivering the work, no communication or feedback about the work at all. I guess we will see how this one goes. But at least I think I will have to double think before I send my proposals to clients with unverified paymend method. Thank you for your reply.  

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 22

Payment unverified does not mean you won't be paid. It means your payment is not guaranteed.

I consider it risky. I accept work with payment unverified clients. But I let them know that they need to be payment verified before I work on the project.

I don't care that much of a client responds.

What I usually do if an hourly contract client does not respond is I simply continue to send them messages informing them what I am doing, and I tell them what I will do next. Then I keep working. I send them updates every day that I work.

Sometimes I work for many weeks without a response from a client. But their money continues to go into my bank account. That is the only response that I need to keep going.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 22

Hi Abdulmoti,

In case an issue arises with the payment on your Hourly contract our team will follow up with more information. Going forward, please make sure to confirm client has a verified payment method before you accept their offer. You can submit proposals to job posted by clients with an unverified payment method but need to make sure a client has a verified payment method before you accept their offer.

Community Leader
8 of 22

Thank you for the advise, I think for this one, it is too late, I have already submitted the work, but lessons learned. I wish I read this forum before I get engaged with offers, the thing is I got immediatly some work once I signed up and made my profile which didn't give me time to explore the site and see how things work, but it is not all bad, at least it gave me a strong reason to read and learn about the process before going further. I had also client who asked to do part of the work and place order for that, once I finished the part, asked me to do the other part, but I insisted for the client to send me an invitation and offer before I send the finished work, and it went fine. 

I am still learning and thank you all for the valuable inputs. I find this forum very informative.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 22

they warn you not to as soon as the contract starts

why anyone would do work for someone with a non-verified CC is beyond me

inb4 we should trust complete strangers on the internets... 

Community Leader
10 of 22

Sometimes when you are NEW, you rush into things, but mistakes has to be made, in order to learn, yeah?

No one gets it right from get go.. I find disappointments or mistakes an opportunity to learn, it becomes a problem when you do not learn from them and keep repeating them. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS