cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wanting to send 'equipment and check' prior to established contract

Highlighted
Savannah J Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
1 of 4

I just recently joined up work and just got my first client. However, I'm beginning to feel warry of the project. The client keeps asking for my address and said it is to required for the 'company file system'. He also says they will be sending me equipment and a check to pay for some software they want me to download for the poject and will be sending it via FedEx or UPS and that is again why they need my address. I asked what the software was (my father is IT freelance so I'm careful with softwares) but he never specificed and was somewhat vague. He also repeatedly asked for basic information (name, phone number, email, address etc) even though I've been told that is all information that should be obtained through UpWork. Am I being paranoid or is this fishy?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 4

This is a well-known scam. Stop communicating with this person and make sure to flag the listing asap.

You may also want to read up: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 4

Hi Savannah, 

This is a known scam and I would like to request that you flag the job post accordingly. Please read up on the link that Virginia has shared. You may also want to check the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we compiled to help you work safely on the platform. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Savannah J Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
4 of 4

Thanks eveyone I have flagged them!