🐈 Community
soniamthomas

Client wants bank info

I am a newbie. I have talked to 2 clients that are not payment verified. They have asked me where I bank. Is this standard. I didn't provide the information. It was suspect.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sabdersmm

Hi Sonia, don't share your bank information with your client. Because it's policy violation of Upwork and you may get suspended. You should get paid through upwork. It's the best and safest way to get paid. Even you should give the priority to the clients who has varified payment method.

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
timsmith99

This is definitely NOT normal. Do not give your bank account info out to Upwork clients.

You may wish to report these clients to have Upwork make sure they're legitimate. You can do that following the instructions found here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118-Report-Suspicious-User-Activity?flash_digest=...

Any client who asks for your bank information is simply a criminal who is trying to steal from you.

Thank you. Will do.

sabdersmm

Hi Sonia, don't share your bank information with your client. Because it's policy violation of Upwork and you may get suspended. You should get paid through upwork. It's the best and safest way to get paid. Even you should give the priority to the clients who has varified payment method.

Thanks

deborahtayloe

Do not give out your bank information to any client outside of Upwork. If they are trying to get you to work outside of the Upwork rules, you could get kicked off Upwork.  Also, they could steal every dime you have in the bank. Don't do it!

Thank you so much. I felt they were trying to go outside Upwork.

soniamthomas

Thanks. Glad I followed my instinct 🙂

cupidmedia

You can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

vibhor_goyal

If you share your bank info, it can affect you in many different ways:

1) You can be suspended from Upwork.

2) Your money can get stolen.

sayem01

If Upwork authority willing to take responsibility to maintain freelancer’s earning transaction and committed to secure your hard-earned money as like a bank, so why do you prefer a bank than Upwork ? Please ignore that offer and also ignore those clients, but in other hand I think as a part of Upwork you also should to convince those type of clients to make payment via upwork because might be some of the newbie clients think that Upwork won’t be a secure path for payment and that’s why they require any bank account.

Learning Paths