Client wants me to complete his work but hasn't offered me the Job on UpWork

Hi there!

New to Up Work - but have already completed a few jobs writing Resumes and Cover Letters with no trouble.

I have one potential candidate - I wrote him a proposal and provided a Sample of my work as Proof of what I could do for him. He then asked me to then work on his Resume and now continues to give me more things to add to his Resume but hasn't officially "Awarded me the Job" on Up Work.

I have asked him to Award me the Job so then I can complete his work but he refuses and tells me that I must complete his work first.

At this point in time I have refused to complete the work until awarded the Job - Has anyone else had issues like this before? and what do I do ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is somewhat common, unfortunately. It's not the case in the vast majority of jobs, but I see a thread like this at least once a week.

Where to go from here is a judgment call. If you think that the person is just new to the platform and genuinely has good intentions but just doesn't understand how things work, help walk them through it. There are a lot of good clients who are just new to Upwork and he may not even realize he hasn't done what he needs to.

But that doesn't seem like the case here. It sounds like you've explained what needs to happen, the client is just trying to cheat the system. These are huge red flags, and as much as I am sure you'd like to get a couple of projects under your belt, as someone new you can't afford the damage this client could do to you. Personally, I would not only not proceed, I'd report him to Upwork for violation of TOS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

This is somewhat common, unfortunately. It's not the case in the vast majority of jobs, but I see a thread like this at least once a week.

Where to go from here is a judgment call. If you think that the person is just new to the platform and genuinely has good intentions but just doesn't understand how things work, help walk them through it. There are a lot of good clients who are just new to Upwork and he may not even realize he hasn't done what he needs to.

But that doesn't seem like the case here. It sounds like you've explained what needs to happen, the client is just trying to cheat the system. These are huge red flags, and as much as I am sure you'd like to get a couple of projects under your belt, as someone new you can't afford the damage this client could do to you. Personally, I would not only not proceed, I'd report him to Upwork for violation of TOS.

@Ridge M wrote:

Hi there!

New to Up Work - but have already completed a few jobs writing Resumes and Cover Letters with no trouble.

I have one potential candidate - I wrote him a proposal and provided a Sample of my work as Proof of what I could do for him. He then asked me to then work on his Resume and now continues to give me more things to add to his Resume but hasn't officially "Awarded me the Job" on Up Work.

I have asked him to Award me the Job so then I can complete his work but he refuses and tells me that I must complete his work first.

At this point in time I have refused to complete the work until awarded the Job - Has anyone else had issues like this before? and what do I do ?

Report him to Upwork.

Don't do any more work for him. 

Tell him that in order to proceed with working on his resume, you will need a contract in place as per Upwork TOS.

These are just a few suggestions Smiley Happy

kat303

@Ridge M wrote:

Hi there!

You DON'T do work for a client if they haven't given you a contract (hired you) on this site.

You DON'T do work for a client if their account is not verified

You Don't do work for a client if they haven't fully funded the amount required for the milestone or job

You Don't do work for a client if they have not funded escrow at all.

Do Not continue to work on this job (until you are hired)

Do Not send in any work that you have completed or are working on.

Report this client to Upwork.

carolyngomes

Hi Ridge,

I am sorry you have had a negative experience, but your peers have given you some good advice here. Please, do not submit any work not done under a contract, this is a violation of the Terms of Service on the client's part. Please send a request to support@upwork.com and include the information of this job so we may investigate.

Have a good week, everyone!

~Carolyn
Upwork

Thank you Everyone for the Urgent Advice. I have followed up by Sending a Request for Investigation.

Many thanks!

Ridge