🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client wants me to pay and will reimburse...
Page options
lsmith131313
Community Member

Client wants me to pay and will reimburse for license

Client wants me to pay to get insurance in another state. I will pay.  Then I will send invoice and they will pay me back.  Is there a better way to do this?  It is $60. 

Should I get some information from them?  

9 REPLIES 9
NikolaS

Hi Leslie,

I have sent your report to our team for investigations and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please note that offering and accepting payments outside Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS and carries a penalty for all parties involved. It also means forfeiting the payment protection Upwork Protection Programs provide. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

What kind of insurance?  Seems odd.

The client could reimburse you by way of a bonus but they would have to add 20% to account for the Upwork fee.

I got this message.  I will not do anything.

it's a scam

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Leslie S wrote:

Client wants me to pay to get insurance in another state. I will pay.  Then I will send invoice and they will pay me back.  Is there a better way to do this?  It is $60. 

Should I get some information from them?  

The better way is to not do this at all. You are not a bank. Any good reason why he can't pay his own insurance?

It would be my insurance license.  I would have to sign up.

I would need some reassurance that the client would pay me back.

re: "I would need some reassurance that the client would pay me back."

Of course the client is not going to pay you back.

The "cient" is just trying to steal your money.

What would YOU do if you were the client?
Would you ask a freelancer to pay their own money up front?

Or would you do one of the following:
a) pay for the license yourself and send the license # to the freelancer
[or]

b) pay the freelancer money up-front, so that they had the funds to purchase the license

Of course if YOU were the client, you would do the right thing. You would demonstrate that you can be trusted. You would not expect a freelancer to "trust" a total stranger on the internet and send money.

Out of curiosity, what is the insurance for?

I get it that there are a few forms of "legitimate" insurance. Such as automobile insurance, which is mandated by law if you are going to drive.

But you aren't being hired to drive.

What is the client hiring you to do?
(If you are writing a blog article, or designing a logo, or translating advertising copy into another language... I can assure you that you don't need insurance for that.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths