🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client wants me to sensld my userid, name, ag...
Page options
3c9217f9
Community Member

Client wants me to sensld my userid, name, age, and country by email.

Hi.

A client has contacted me via the  Upwork messaging tool. She wants me to send my userid, name, age, and country of origin to her gmail. Is that okay? 

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

No. Don't do it. Remember: no communication outside of upwork before hire. 

I see. I am new to this. Today I received messages from two clients who
wanted to communicate by email. One of them wanted to me to send my userId
to her gmail.
Thank you.
petra_r
Community Member

No, that is not okay.

You are not allowed to communicate outside the platform with prospective clients before a contract is in place.

There is also never any genuine reason for a client to ask your user-id or your age.

Likely a scam, but even if the job is not a scam, you are not allowed to send anything by email anyway until you have been hired.

3c9217f9
Community Member

This has been noted. Thank you.
17f3e0a1
Community Member

Hello, I also received a message asking for that information. I just came here to see if someone had the same encounter and what to do. They seemed suspicious.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It's a scam. 

Hi Peter,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please know that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. Additionally, feel free to check this page to find great tips to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
e7775cc9
Community Member

SCAM

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths