🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client will not respond and did not pay
Page options
visualizer3d
Community Member

Client will not respond and did not pay

I got a message to do some work, which I completed, before time agreed. The client responded nicley till I sent the images and then nothing.  I do not see where he has deposited any funds.. We agreed on a budget amount.  If there is nothing does that mean I lost out on this work?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client will not respond..."

Clients are not required to respond.

re: "Client will not respond and did not pay"

Freelancers are paid automatically, even if clients do not respond.

re: "If there is nothing does that mean I lost out on this work?"

Yes, that's probably what this means.

If you worked without a contract, then there is no way for a client to pay you.

This would be your mistake. But that's a good thing!

If you made a mistake then you can learn from your mistake and not make the same mistake again.

If you go to:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...do you see a contract listed?

If you do not, then it means you worked without a contract. That means you worked for free.

mtngigi
Community Member

Sandi M wrote:

I got a message to do some work, which I completed, before time agreed. The client responded nicley till I sent the images and then nothing.  I do not see where he has deposited any funds.. We agreed on a budget amount.  If there is nothing does that mean I lost out on this work?

A message is not a contract. Were you actually hired? If there is no contract under "My Jobs", then yes, you lost out and will not be paid. If you're new, perhaps read up about how to work safely so this doesn't happen again:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sandi,

I checked your account and can confirm that there is no contract in place for the job you are referring to on your post. Before you start working on any project, make sure that the client sent you an offer, you have accepted it, it's showing as an active job on your My Jobs page, and the client's payment method is verified. 

I would recommend that you read up on the link Virginia noted on her post, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths