🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client
Page options
mm169254xx
Community Member

Client

Hi, I would just like to check it with the you guys if it's normal for clients to: 

- ask for your ip addres for voip app configuration purposes (zoiper)

- clients to want to remotely access your pc via team viewer to configure such voip app.

So far I've give my IP as i thought that would be enough to configure whatever they have to on their end. Team viewer I have not responded to yet.

Many thanks,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Mark,

Giving someone else remote access or control over your computer doesn't sound like a good idea and I would strongly caution you against this. Please check out this thread which includes useful information about common themes among suspicious job posts and clients and best practices for avoiding these types of jobs. You can report questionable jobs for our review by clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link located at the upper right of the job posting, and our team will review the posting.

~Nina

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Mark,

Giving someone else remote access or control over your computer doesn't sound like a good idea and I would strongly caution you against this. Please check out this thread which includes useful information about common themes among suspicious job posts and clients and best practices for avoiding these types of jobs. You can report questionable jobs for our review by clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link located at the upper right of the job posting, and our team will review the posting.

~Nina

Hi Nina, i completely agree. I've only worked with this client for 2 weeks so far. And since I'm now gonna be doing phone calls, This is happening. I will check the thread out. Thank you.

Using an IP address to configure Teamviewer is very odd to me.  You should be able to just install teamviewer and give them the ID and passcode that it generates.

Sorry for the confusion.

They needed my IP for the Zoiper voip app.

I refused the team viewer and volunteered to proceed with just them walking me through the process of setting the voip app up.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths