🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Clients Breaking Policy on Payment
Page options
7ae3bb1d
Community Member

Clients Breaking Policy on Payment

I'm new to Upwork, but I'm trying to understand if trying to get potential freelancers to break Upwork policy and be paid through a 3rd party system outside of Upwork is normal? I have submitted proposals for several jobs where the client would then message me on Upwork and request to not do any of the payment through Upwork because of the fees. I was even told multiple times that the position or project, that was posted on Upwork, was not related to Upwork and that's why I shouldn't have an issue accepting payment through Venmo, ACH, etc. 

Because this happens so often I'm starting to wonder if I misunderstood the Upwork policy, is submitting a proposal, but then working with a client outside of the Upwork payment system allowed? I have rejected all of these offers as I think it's kind of unprofessional to post one thing but mean another, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue frequently.

1 REPLY 1
AndreaG

Hi Sienna,

Offering and accepting payments off Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. Upwork requires all payments to go through our platform and offers Upwork Payment Protection for both hourly and fixed-price contracts. You can refer to Section 7 of the User Agreement for detailed information.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths