Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients asking for ID card and billing/financial statement

Highlighted
Diego R Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
1 of 9

Hi,

I'm new here and a client invite me for a job interview.

I said that i was interested and he asks me for ID card and billing/financial statement.

Is that right? Is safe to provide this documents?

Thanks for the help. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

@Diego R wrote:

I said that i was interested and he asks me for ID card and billing/financial statement.

Is that right? Is safe to provide this documents?

Absolutely not and absolutely not.

That is not a client, that is someone who wants to steal your identity to open some account on some website, possibly Upwork. Or a bank account. Or get a credit card....

In NO way is it likely to be genuine...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 9

That's what I thought, since the site itself has my information. Thank you for your help.
I'm going to report this fake cliente.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maryam N Member Since: Sep 4, 2016
4 of 9

As Petra noted a legit client would never ask for your ID card and billing statements. You don't share anything with this client he is a scam and needs to be reported.  You can flag Job post and immediately open a ticket with CS and give them the client's information so that they can take necessary action on the account.

Highlighted
5 of 9

Thanks.
I 'll report him.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 9

Diego, - Just sit back a minute and REALLY think about this. Are you THAT trusting and willing to give a complete stranger you've just met through the internet, that may live half way around the world, your I.D. card and banking/financial information? Also, did you apply for this job, or did the client contact you out of the blue?

Did you take the time to learn how this site works, the procedures, and what to look out for. If not. Before doing anything else, read, if not Upwork's TOS, but some of the posts here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

Almost certainly a scammer.

But if you're ever in doubt and think you may be dealing with a legitimate client who is simply ignorant about how Upwork works, it IS possible to let the client hire you if you go about it the right way:

"Darnell:

Thank you for offering to hire me. I will be happy to do this job. Please go ahead and use the Hire button and I will accept the contract. Upwork has my information on file and you are welcome to contact them directly to obtain any details or verification you need about my ID and financial accounts."

Highlighted
8 of 9

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 9

Hi Diego, 

This is an unusual request, and something we do not recommend meeting. I have reported this to the team for their review and action if they see it necessary. in the meantime, I suggest that you refrain from sending any personal information to your client and your other clients moving forward. 

You may want to check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled