Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients asking me to send email to a *edited* email address in gmail

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jasmine W Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
1 of 5

I am new to Upwork and I'm trying to get my foot in the door. I have been sent two interview invites for proofreading job. I thought this was great but then they asked me to send an email to a **Edited for Community Guidelines** address. I sent the first email and waited. Then they sent an email asking for name, country of residence, year of birth, do i have a verified paypal or Skill account, and do i have a reliable internet connection.

I looked at other upwork freelancer's posts about another cjinc address being a scam. Are these the same people? Plus I was send a message on upwork from two different clients that both had the same line " We appreciate your interest on our jobs. Please send us an eamil to**Edited for Community Guidelines**. Thanks".

The first person who sent me that Message withdrew her project but still sent me an email askng for my information. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Hi Jasmine,

Please, do not continue communicating with this client. They are violating Upwork ToS and the team will take actions against these accounts shortly. Please, make sure you don't start working on a project without an active contract on Upwork and never accept payments outside of Upwork from clients you met on Upwork.

Check our this post and especially "Safety First!" section before you continue on the platform.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 5

Thank you for your response. I have not accepted any work from either client because I was suspicious.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Samrat C Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
4 of 5

Hi Jasmine,

Welcome to Upwork!

Since you are new to Upwork, I would suggest you to please go through the article(written by Lena E- Upwork community manager) in the link below:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/m-p/240833#U240833

Thanks,

Samrat

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 5

I have read these guidelines, which is what made me supect these clients were dishonest.