🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Clients have not accepted any proposals submi...
Page options
lamboscpa
Community Member

Clients have not accepted any proposals submitted

Hi,

I'm new to upwork and have submitted 2 proposals within the past week and noted that out of 50 proposals submitted, none have been accepted.  I've used up 8 connects & want to ask how long will it take to get these connects back if the client doesn't seem to be accepted or interview or made an offer?  How long does it take for a job proposal to be removed if it seems to be an inactive proposal made by the person offering the work needed?  The proposals I have outstanding are an average of 7 days, how long would it take to have proposals accepted?

Kindly, please let me know.

Thank you,

Demetrios

11 REPLIES 11
Community Member

Hi,

I am working on Upwork for 10 days and applied for 6-7 jobs and get hired in one so usually, it takes 2  to 3 days.

if you want to confirm then check their actual job and update on that did client hire someone or interviewing.

Thankyou

Hi.

Like i posted earlier.  These jobs have been open for an average of 7 days.  One has been open for 8 days and the other has been open for 6 days.  And yes, I did check the actual job and noted that there have been 50 applicants and there have been no invitations, acceptances or offers.  How long will the job stay open (No invitations, acceptances or offers) before we get refunded our credits?  Does anyone look into this and if need be who do we contact to have someone look into it?

Thanks,

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Demetrios,

A job expires after 30 days of inactivity but clients are still able to review proposals and hire freelancers after the mentioned time frame. We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
lamboscpa
Community Member

So what happens after thirty days and they still haven’t accepted anyone. Say 45 or 60 days or more go by and still no acceptance. When is it determined to be closed and when do we get our connects back?

Demetrios L wrote:
So what happens after thirty days and they still haven’t accepted anyone. Say 45 or 60 days or more go by and still no acceptance. When is it determined to be closed and when do we get our connects back?

Expire means that the job disappears and is no longer visible to you, which happens after 30 days of inactivity. You don't get your connects back then, only if the client closes it himself without hire, or when it is a ToS violation. You really want to avoid jobs that are a ToS violation anyway. 

What is a TOS violation?

Also, what happens after 30 days and the client just doesn't close it?  You mentioned that you do not get credits back.  It seems a bit unfair to get penalized for a client who wasn't making a serious offer in the first place.  Isn't there a fair resolution for us as a reuslt of this happening?

Thanks.

Hi Demetrios. I don't understand. You're a CPA with an hourly rate of $75 and you're unhappy at paying 60c to submit a proposal? I would have thought that the time it takes you to submit a proposal is worth far more to you than the 60c. Anyway, that's how I see it, and my hourly rate is lower than yours.

Would you be happier if Upwork refunded the connects when no one is hired,  but charged 2 or 3 times as much for each proposal? Think about the average cost, not whether you get refunds.

ToS  = Terms of Service

Clients don't always start interviewing within 7 days of posting a job. I've had jobs where the client did nothing for 3 or 4 weeks and then offered me the job out of the blue. But it's more likely that the client has changed their mind, hired elsewhere or wasn't serious in the first place, especially if this was their first Upwork job post.  It's best to just send the proposal and then forget about it. Assume that you won't hear back. Then,  if you do,  it will be a pleasant surprise. 

Hi Richard,

Thank you for pointing out that I am a CPA and that my rates are higher than yours but that makes absolutely no difference and does not merit the response you provided.  As a new member I would like to know how Upwork works and have questions answered in a professional manner.

Now my question still remains unanswered.  And in response to your question, say there are 1K, 5K, 10K or more non refunded proposals at .60 cents, that would equal how much.  How about after 7 days a week, 52 weeks in a year.  And this is in additon to the 20% fee they are charging on the services each freelancer renders.   

How many of those do you believe would be attributable to potential clients making propositions that they don't intend of accepting?  Probably minimal.  So to answer your question, yes I do believe that myself or any other individuals in my position should receive the credits back due to the low impact.  

Business is business. 

Thank you,    

Demetrios L wrote:

How many of those do you believe would be attributable to potential clients making propositions that they don't intend of accepting?  Probably minimal.  So to answer your question, yes I do believe that myself or any other individuals in my position should receive the credits back due to the low impact.  

You can believe whatever you like, but the reality is that in most cases, you will not get your connects back and you should consider it to be the cost of doing business on Upwork. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not, but very few people get hired after sending out only two proposals, so if you want to give yourself a decent chance at gaining some clients, then you're going to have to buy more connects. If you're waiting around for your connects to be returned (or for two clients to respond to you), then you're potentially missing out on applying for some good projects.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths