🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Clients outside of Upwork
Page options
laura_panella
Community Member

Clients outside of Upwork

I'm a freelancer, and have been for over a decade. I have a steady log of clients and do not want to use Upwork to get new clients. However, a new client is insisting on paying me through Upwork. Can I be sure that Upwork will not come after me for payments/jobs for existing clients I have, who do not use their platform?  Also, can I be sure they won't try to charge me some cancellation fee once the job is done with this client (it's only 2 weeks)?

2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Laura,

You might be interested in Direct Contracts. Direct Contracts makes it easy to get paid by your clients who don’t have a full account on Upwork and just need access to review your invoices and make payments. With Direct Contracts you also get the protection of escrow and if a dispute arises we will be happy to help.

Let us know if you need any further assistance. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Laura P wrote:

I'm a freelancer, and have been for over a decade. I have a steady log of clients and do not want to use Upwork to get new clients. However, a new client is insisting on paying me through Upwork. Can I be sure that Upwork will not come after me for payments/jobs for existing clients I have, who do not use their platform?  Also, can I be sure they won't try to charge me some cancellation fee once the job is done with this client (it's only 2 weeks)?

Laura,

I don't have any difficulty in separating my off-Upwork clients (clients who found me, or who I found in other areas, who do not have Upwork accounts) and my Upwork clients. Upwork has never come after me to "make" me onboard my other clients onto this site. 

If your new client has found you off this site, then it is his or her prerogative to insist on an Upwork contract and  paying you via Upwork. It is also your prerogative to refuse  the job, if you do not wish to be paid via this site. However, I can't understand why you would object to this, and your question raises a few doubts about how this client found you in the first place.  

Upwork does not charge a cancellation fee (you really do need to read Upwork's ToS), once the job is done. However, if you and your client contract on the Upwork site, you may not thereafter, be paid by the client for other jobs off site (until you have been with the client for more than two years, or if your client buys you out). By opening an account with Upwork, you undertake to abide by the rules and regs.  If either you, or your client, don't, then Upwork could terminate your accounts, or take it further.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths