🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Clients sending work
Page options
fionatate
Community Member

Clients sending work

As newbie, I'm not sure if this is common for this platform or if there's something I need to be doing so all help will be gratefully received. I've done some test posts for clients, they've said "great, love them, would love you to work for us regularly." And then I don't hear anything back. Should I start nagging them, or look elsewhere?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Fiona, welcome!

Were you paid for these "test posts"? If so, then tell each client you look forward to working with them again and move on. They'll either return or they won't.

If you did test posts without being paid, then please stop doing that. If a client asks you to do it, it's a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service and you need to report it when it happens. If it's something you offer to do, that's certainly your choice but know that it will not earn you regular work. What it does is train unscrupulous clients to take advantage of newbie freelancers to get work done without paying for it.

I don't see anything in your profile that suggests you need to depend on the bottom feeders, which is how I think of clients who accept free work and then disappear (and certainly, those who ask for it). Charge what you're worth!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bobafett999
Community Member

Did you do those test posts free or paid under a contract?

If you did them for free and you haven't heard back, most likely you were scammed.

The best advice:  Never do anything for free and without funded contract.  Most of the jobs that require free or very low payment under the guise of 'test' are fake.

If you were paid then it does not hurt to politely asking them where you stand with them.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was paid under contract, and was paid promptly. Part of the problem may be because of the Christmas New Year period, I guess. i have followed up with one, and they have sent me more work today

@Fiona T wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was paid under contract, and was paid promptly. Part of the problem may be because of the Christmas New Year period, I guess. i have followed up with one, and they have sent me more work today

@ There you go.  One of the forum member called @Petra has a nice flowchart(s) of how things work on Upwork.  Perhaps you may want to send her a private message and ask them.  She is good people.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Fiona, welcome!

Were you paid for these "test posts"? If so, then tell each client you look forward to working with them again and move on. They'll either return or they won't.

If you did test posts without being paid, then please stop doing that. If a client asks you to do it, it's a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service and you need to report it when it happens. If it's something you offer to do, that's certainly your choice but know that it will not earn you regular work. What it does is train unscrupulous clients to take advantage of newbie freelancers to get work done without paying for it.

I don't see anything in your profile that suggests you need to depend on the bottom feeders, which is how I think of clients who accept free work and then disappear (and certainly, those who ask for it). Charge what you're worth!

Hi Thanks for your reply.  I very quickly learnt not to agree to any tests that aren't paid and I'm also no longer working for 0.015 per word. Perhaps I need to decide how much time I will allow waiting for a client to get back to me, and follow up on the regular gigs I really want

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths