🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Clients wanting to contact via Telegram, is t...
Page options
41016d26
Community Member

Clients wanting to contact via Telegram, is this allowed?

Hello there, I'm new to Upwork, I've been trying to find legit job listings on here through typing, proofreading, and data entry, and the first few batches I've seen are clients having really vague descriptions about needing a document re-typed unto a PDF or something.

However, I came across and proposed on a few other job listings, and one of them sent me a PDF telling me that they have "reviewed" my cover letter despite me sending it almost right away. The instructions said to contact them via Telegram, I'm aware what the app is, but I personally feel like it's.. sketchy to contact a business, fake or not, through a different app when email and Upwork itself exists.

I was also contacted by another client telling me to also contact their managers through Telegram as well, they said that I could email the manager as well. I was very skepitcal about these two clients, so I ignored them both.

How do clients usually message or contact anyone that is interested in their job listing?

39 REPLIES 39
prestonhunter
Community Member

No.

It is not allowed.

And even if it was allowed, why would you want to do that?
Those are scammers who are trying to steal money from your bank account.

I am new and got that too...and reported it...

It happened to me just yesterday. That's why I ignore it but how to report that scammer? 

Happening to also today.  Is it so hard to find legit work nowadays? 

Yep, it really is. I got scammed a grand as they somehow got a hold of my bank information despite me not giving any information regarding that, still talking to RBC but they don't have a great customer service let alone a fraud and scam department. Gonna get me some coffee and cry myself to sleep I wish you guys the best

Looks like no one answered. At the bottom of the post (when you click on it from the list of posts) is a link that says "flag as inappropriate". Tounch that. Then checkmark the option that is something like "Client gives contact information". I believe you also still have to explain in a box. I put "Client wants to chat on Telegram." 

Clients want to proceed on telegram and all they say is that we are not working on upwork and you can get paid at the end of the job. This has happened for the last 3 days

This is happening to me right now.

Yeah, I told one I refuse to work if I'm not getting paid on Upwork. That they have to set up a contract there. The guy kept ignoring that and asking "Can you do the job or not?" I then blocked him. And he didn't even post on Upwork to contact him there. He had some lady on Upwork telling me to contact him there. That's why I thought it might be legit. Was hoping she was just his point of contact and they'd pay through Upwork. But no. Then after I blocked him, this lady messages me asking if I talked to him. I told her I would not be doing their scam of a job.

pgiambalvo
Community Member
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tomas,

It is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts. You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. Please use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature whenever you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
a98b561b
Community Member

good information

sofia2008
Community Member

When receiving an email from Upwork Trust and Safety after reporting a suspicious activity, is there a reason why they are not refering to the job post in question? If more than one report was made, and we do not know what is the delay to get an answer, I need to ask this info every time.

e59bff3c
Community Member

Hello,

I am also new and the same happened to me just now.
Thankfully I found this post.

ab6de555
Community Member

I am very new and its happened to me twice. Does Upwork vet at all. I see mostly scammers with sketchy information. As I am researching I found this post as well. Are there legit jobs on Upwork. I was so excited when I found Upwork. I am disappointed at what I've experience so far. I am hoping to come across a proposal where I don't get a response to chat or connect via different platforms and apps. I was looking forward to freelancing. 

re: "Does Upwork vet at all."

No.

re: "I see mostly scammers with sketchy information."

Yeah, that's a problem.

But you can look forward to things being better if you stick with it.

I personally never encounter scammers. I only read about them in the Community Forum.

Scammers don't target experienced freelancers, because they know it is a waste of their time to do so.

70ead542
Community Member

Hello everyone came here looking for information regarding whether to trust clients asking to contact them on telegram found this thread informative

Also how we can know that the one who is offering a job or task is not fake?

Hi Tehreem,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You may want to check this help article and this thread to find more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
lindapang1973
Community Member

Legitimate ones are willing to work with you through Upwork itself. I have had many typing jobs and they were all through Upwork, but lately the ones I try keep asking me to contact them through Telegram. It's so annoying. I wound up withdrawing my proposal from one today and reporting them.

Yep, agreed. I have also worked with many legitimate clients here. One I have now been working with for almost 2 years now. 

5010e375
Community Member

I also received one regarding this proble. I just respectfully told them that I am not allowed to contact them through TG if there is no contract given to me via Upwork. After telling him that, he closed the chat without even replying 😄

Hi Clark,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Respected Sir,

Same thing happened to me right now. I am new to upwork. After hearing so many good reviews I would like to work with u. Today only i opened my account. I received a message from upwork. i have attached the screenshot here. I dont know whether it is real or fake. They asked me to chat with **Edited for Community Guidelines**in telegram for getting work. I received message from**Edited for Community Guidelines**I have attached the screenshot here sir. Kindly let me know whether they are real or fake. Thank you

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Saranya,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that sharing contact info prior to a contract starting and communicating outside Upwork is against ToS. One of the most common scams is when the client wants to take your conversation to Telegram, Whatsapp or any other messaging platform.

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
dbed87e0
Community Member

Hi,

Same thing happened with me as well, two of the clients asked me to text them on Telegram, I thought may be its easy for them, so I did contact them and then she asked me to type 200 pages book, in two days span and it was so lengthy I did, but then she didnt repond at all, and one of the account was deleted too, please be aware of these scams and protect yourself, Alhumdullilah I was saved from their money scam. 

2fb0fddb
Community Member

Hey,

I faced this issue too. Especially with the data entry related job vacancies.

Glad I found this post it gave me a lot of clarity.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm great at data entry jobs, and when Upwork first started, I worked with a number of legitimate clients. Now they're all scams. It's frustrating. I mean, I have other skills, but data entry yielded the most money. 

4375e9e9
Community Member

Hello, I received this kind of Email and wondering if it's legit because they have offered job, interview through Telegraph 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

sofia2008
Community Member

This is a scam and you are not allowed to communicate outside Upwork before a contract is in place on Upwork.

Stop using Upwork and read the main article at the top of this post to learn how things work. Solved: Re: To all freelancers looking for help - Page 26 - Upwork Community

63cf1a86
Community Member

Upwork has all the tools to communicate with clients.  Telegram is not one of upwork's collaborating tools. 

2c852029
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I had the same happen to me on the day I joined Upwork. I didn't want to be rude so I replied to the "client" saying that unfortunately I am not able to click on the link because it is not allowed as per the rules. The client disappeared and the job listing vanished too! Be careful, everyone. 

bella_2014
Community Member

Telegram = scam

2b27c254
Community Member

I decided to recommenton this thread because my first job on here in May involved a scammer. I was literally on this site 30 minutes and was sent a zoom link and a contract and the company "US Magazine" wanted access to my checking account. I had not been familiar with Upwork or it's TOS to realize I was being scammed. I saw the company was verified and that was it. 

Needless to say I was not giving out banking info and the whole thing seemed shady and I was emailing Upwork and realized I was in something bad.  Since then I have gotten much smarter about where I send proposals, and who I accept from. I get steady work when I want it and have no complaints. You can tell some scams right off, but others build up trust as a verified client. In the end it's up to you to use you gut instinct and when your not comfortable ask customer service. Things like telegrams are a giveaway, or asking for SSN or other personal info. Keep communication on this site. Report direct TOS violations and if people ask you to do things outside o what you were hired to do say "No."  

a7ac551e
Community Member

Hello friends, how are you? is there any person to listen to my story and guide me actually a few days ago I applied for a project proposal at Upwork. my goodness of luck project was accepted I received an email to reply to the button then I tapped open in new window with a telegram The person who connected with the Canadian**Edited for Community Guidelines** they contacted me and asked for my formal details given in it. They told me I had 30 screenshots you had to type the Word document and convert them to PDF I was accepted and given three 3 days to complete on project I completed it in 48 hours and submitted the project this email**Edited for Community Guidelines**. The next day I sent a message by telegram asking if the project was correct or any changes he said your project is submitted and send your details I will send you payment I said I already updated my account details on the Upwork website he said that you have to pay is links fee is 55$ I said early to about submit the project then you ask any type of payment he said: "I am sorry we don't work like that".

I am very upset right I am transferred 30$ and sent the screenshot on telegram they connected me to another person who is the payment manager he said your payment is ready you have to pay another 95$ then you will receive the payment I am stuck what is this happening I have all data and screenshot and save in my laptop including emails. Any person please guide me on what I do. If I transfer the 95$ to receive payment please guide me to any Upwork team member. i have all proof.

You are not using Upwork properly and got scammed.

Before sending any other proposal, read the main text at the top of this post to stay safe on Upwork: To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

In this case, communicating outside Upwork before a contract is in place is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. You were not formally hired on Upwork, so work should not have been started. All payments have to be made through Upwork. Any payment to made to the scammer is lost. It was never their intention to pay you.

5a24222d
Community Member

I am new here and got those messages to contact from my email id and telegram. This is not allowed and I reported. These are scammers.

5a24222d
Community Member

Hey, I had faced this issue and found that only scammers ask to contact via telegram or other platforms. Freelancers are suppose to stick on to Upwork messages  only for all the communications.

lindapang1973
Community Member

They also aren't supposed to ask you to send them a direct email.

7ccfc952
Community Member

Hi, 

I face same issue, all are scamers, who say via Telegram

Abdullah Al Mamun
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths