🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Clients wants free ideas
Page options
luciadlpuente
Community Member

Clients wants free ideas

Hi everyone! I am new to this freelancing community. I sent my first proposal and got a reply. However, the client wants me to send ideas of what could work for the job. I am not sure if I should spend time on it before the job it is mine. It looks like the client is new on upwork as well, and their payment is not verified. Should I be concern about it? 

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Lucia:
You should always be concerned about situations in which you will be working for free.

It is not Upwork's purpose to give you opportunities to work for free. And that is not why you are here. You do free work in your community, church, mosque, etc... not on Upwork.

It is always a good idea to give clients the opportunity to do the right thing. Often clients - especially new Upwork users - don't know how to use Upwork properly. If you are patient and professional, you can tell them what they need to know.

You can tell the client:
"Jasmine: Yes, I will be happy to provide ideas of what will work for the job. You can use the green 'Hire' button on your side to officially hire me using an hourly contract. I will then be able to spend as much time as you want on this part of the project."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

Lucia:
You should always be concerned about situations in which you will be working for free.

It is not Upwork's purpose to give you opportunities to work for free. And that is not why you are here. You do free work in your community, church, mosque, etc... not on Upwork.

It is always a good idea to give clients the opportunity to do the right thing. Often clients - especially new Upwork users - don't know how to use Upwork properly. If you are patient and professional, you can tell them what they need to know.

You can tell the client:
"Jasmine: Yes, I will be happy to provide ideas of what will work for the job. You can use the green 'Hire' button on your side to officially hire me using an hourly contract. I will then be able to spend as much time as you want on this part of the project."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths