Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Closing a milestone

Highlighted
Active Member
Emma O Member Since: May 27, 2019
1 of 11

HI there,

I'm new to Upwork and I have a question! Before I had chance to get to grips with how it all works, I found myself being offered a job and I accepted. I've now finished and the client is asking me to close the milestone in order to clear payment. Could anyone quickly advise me how this is done?

Will be so grateful!

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

Emma O wrote:

HI there,

I'm new to Upwork and I have a question! Before I had chance to get to grips with how it all works, I found myself being offered a job and I accepted. I've now finished and the client is asking me to close the milestone in order to clear payment. Could anyone quickly advise me how this is done?


Did you send the work through the official "submit work for payment" button?

In that case, the client just has to approve...

 

Emma, are you sure you were actually hired? On your "My Jobs" page, is there a contract???

 

And (unsolicited advice) - you MUST up your hourly rate. Seriously... what are you thinking?

Highlighted
Active Member
Emma O Member Since: May 27, 2019
3 of 11
No! Because the link I was sent to do the work automatically closed once
the task was done....
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

Emma O wrote:
No! Because the link I was sent to do the work automatically closed once
the task was done....

Huh?

 

Do you, or do you not have an Upwork contract?

Look on your My Jobs page

Active Member
Emma O Member Since: May 27, 2019
5 of 11
I have a pending contract. The problem seems to be that the client did not
send me a milestone, he just sent me the links I needed. However, now he
says he has created the milestone for the money he offered and I need to
close it. I need to find the milestone but when I go to My Jobs there is no
"Request milestone approval button". So not sure where to look!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
6 of 11

Did you look on your "My Jobs" page as Petra suggested? If there is nothing there, you do not have a job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
7 of 11

Emma O wrote:
I have a pending contract. The problem seems to be that the client did not
send me a milestone, he just sent me the links I needed. However, now he
says he has created the milestone for the money he offered and I need to
close it. I need to find the milestone but when I go to My Jobs there is no
"Request milestone approval button". So not sure where to look!


You have a "pending contract"? The way the process is supposed to work is this: 1) Client offers you the job. 2) You accept the job (you will receive an email notification from Upwork that the job is now in progress). 3) Client funds the first milestone (or the entire project, if it's not broken up into milestones). 4) You begin working on the project. 5) You complete the first milestone (or the entire project) and submit it for payment.

 

So... did any of these things occur? 

Highlighted
Active Member
Emma O Member Since: May 27, 2019
8 of 11
Well exactly, it didn't go like that at all.... mea culpa entirely. I just
jumped into it since the client contacted me with the links. I'm not sure
why they didn't go through the right process.... now I assume they are
trying to remedy it asking me to close the milestone they have created but
i can't find it. I have asked them to tell me where it is.
Oh well, I may need to just put this down to experience.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
9 of 11

Emma O wrote:

Oh well, I may need to just put this down to experience.

There's no need for that - the client is TRYING to pay you. Read up on how the system works and then go ahead and fix this - you'll need to learn all about the contract/payment process if you're going to work on Upwork, so why not start now?

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Emma O Member Since: May 27, 2019
10 of 11
Thanks very much for all your valuable help!