🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Communication
Page options
dejesus2020
Community Member

Communication

I received I messaged about a proposal that I sent out. Stating to send a phone number to be contacted it with my information and then received a text message with a link to a Google document that ask for name country phone number to confirm WORK.  is this OK or should this be confirmed through Upwork ? 

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Lashonda:
What you describe is okay.
In the sense that it does NOT violate any Upwork rules.

What you describe does NOT need to be confirmed through Upwork.

But I would point out that these types of things are NOT typical. They are not needed, and are not things that most clients ask for. It is important that you don't do any work for this client unless they hire you with an official Upwork contract. It is important that all payment is handled through Upwork.

If you have questions about this at all, then you should return to this thread and discuss this with us.

Someone reached out about one of my proposals and started to reach out outside of upwork with duty details I’ve asked to be sent a upwork contract so I can work but it seems like they don’t want to instead they insist that they are okay to hire me outside of upwork for the company and have talked it over and paid for this through upwork . Also I’m told that I would be sent funds needed for the job via PayPal but be paid through upwork . I guess my question is is this okay and how can I be paid in upwork without a contract or offer ?

HUGE scam.  Nothing about this is on the level.  Flag the job post and forget about it.

Hi Lashonda,

Could you please share with me more information by sending me a PM? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

How do I flag the job it’s a scam

Hi Lashonda,

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Lashonda D wrote:
Someone reached out about one of my proposals and started to reach out outside of upwork with duty details I’ve asked to be sent a upwork contract so I can work but it seems like they don’t want to instead they insist that they are okay to hire me outside of upwork for the company and have talked it over and paid for this through upwork . Also I’m told that I would be sent funds needed for the job via PayPal but be paid through upwork . I guess my question is is this okay and how can I be paid in upwork without a contract or offer ?

You can't be paid on upwork without a contract, but these people don't want to pay you anyway. They want to steal your money by sending you a fake check (for equipment - who buys equipment for a stranger on the internet? nobody) which you then cash, make them send you money while you wait for the  check to clear which it never does because it's fake. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths