cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirm your location to help U.S. clients find you

Highlighted
Aleksandr T Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
1 of 11

I'm getting this alert evey time: Confirm your location to help U.S. clients find you. I added bank account, filled out W-9... When I press VERIFY it just redirects me to job search page. And yes I'm in US.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 11

Hi Aleksandr,

It looks like your location has already been confirmed and you have access to the U.S. only job feed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Relvin G Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 11

I am getting this as well! So annoying that I cant submit proposals to US clients, whene evrything in my profile says United States and I already have a bank account active!

Highlighted
4 of 11

Hi Relvin,

It looks like you have already confirmed your location and should be able to access US-only jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Marilyn A Member Since: Sep 25, 2008
5 of 11

Not understanding your verification process and why this is up to UPWORK and not the client. 

In the past, I understood that it was UPWORK responsibility to verify the freelancers location. This process can be done by matching the address to a bank account or a credit card zipcode on your billing system. If further verification is needed on any individual they can provide proof of address with a bill in their name. I don't understand why this new test feature is inconveniencing the freelancers when applying for jobs. You should not interupt the freelancers process of job application. This can cost you money in the long run.

*****************JUST SAYING*******FEELING ANNOYED BY THE INTERRUPTION**********

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

Sarcasm mode: On

Yes, what a hardship to be briefly inconvenienced to gain the privilege of getting access to jobs the rest of the globe can't even see, let alone bid on.

Must be truly dreadful to have advantages handed on a plate. I feel so sorry for you lot.

Sarcasm mode: Off

Highlighted
7 of 11

Sarcasm mode: On

It's really too bad for you "out of USA users" that because of trust issues we, American can't give you access to our job market. Haven said that, my point was that the "UPwork process" of setting up this procedure is not the best as it can violate privacy issues when ask to confirm bank accounts at the time of application. Not really knowing who is asking for this information, the client or Upwork. Furthermore how this also present an inconvenience the freelancers as a whole not been able to apply for this jobs before following this process.

FYI:

And you don't have to feel sorry for me. My earning history with Upwork is that of >$150k.

Sarcasm mode: Off

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 11

@Marilyn A wrote:

My earning history with Upwork is that of >$150k.

And? What's that got to do with anything? You'll only have to double it to get to mine. Don't feel too bad.

Look, the point is that you get priviledged access to jobs by being "inconvenienced" for a few minutes. It's no big deal. It is certainly not worth getting so plain nasty about.

If you don't want to be inconvenienced you don't have to, and be no worse off than the rest of us.

Highlighted
9 of 11

I'm sorry about the interruption, Marilyn. We are exploring multiple ways to confirm users' location while we test this feature to make sure the process is smooth and efficient but at the same time allows us to verify the information on freelancer's account. We'll keep the Community updated about any changes.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
10 of 11

I get what you are doing Upwork, in the mean time I was not able to apply to a couple of jobs this morning because of this. Exactly my point of the inconveniece and me not going back to apply for these same job as I am very busy. My suggestion is; Once a freelancer is set up as an int'l user that there should be a field to recognize that user as such and a error messagein the job application module "you don't qualified as this is for USA users only".  This can be done by re-programing on down time.

Thanks

Marilyn