🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Confused about the task. Please help me. What...
Page options
81e21f27
Community Member

Confused about the task. Please help me. What to do?

Yesterday I send a proposal for Dataentry. They contact me and send the telegram link to continue. Thereby I continue in telegram, they send a PDF containing the project details. No other deposits or payments are needed to start the job. So, I think they are not scams. Then I continue but the project submission and payments are outside of Upwork. Their payment methods are:

1. PAYPAL
2. SKRILL
3. NETELLER
4. PAYEER
5. BITCOIN
6. BANK TRANSFER.

I confused that Is they are scams or not? Are they refusing to pay after submitting the project?

I am confused because all their methods are outside Upwork. Anyone helps me, please.............

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bingiart
Community Member

According to my experience...

Scammers target freshers and post jobs where they get more proposals. For example Data Entry Jobs, Typing Jobs etc. Be careful if you do this kind of jobs.

So, how to find these scammers?

• They post jobs, but never Hire.
  • They share contact information on job posts. Sometimes there is a contact Number/Email ID in the attached document or image. 
  • They fix huge amount for simple job.
  • If you go under job posting, you will see many jobs like the one above. Sometimes only the title is changed.
  • With the help of VPN, similar jobs are posted from different countries.

Why are they here?

• Traffic has increased here for the last 3-4 years.
  • They are looking for loopholes. The biggest loophole here is that most people don't know about freelancing.

Know about freelance sites before starting work. Visit the UpWork blog. There are many good articles available there.

This is just my opinion.

Be Aware, Be Safe.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
pudingstudio
Community Member

Meenu M wrote:

Yesterday I send a proposal for Dataentry. They contact me and send the telegram link to continue. Thereby I continue in telegram, they send a PDF containing the project details. No other deposits or payments are needed to start the job. So, I think they are not scams. Then I continue but the project submission and payments are outside of Upwork. Their payment methods are:

1. PAYPAL
2. SKRILL
3. NETELLER
4. PAYEER
5. BITCOIN
6. BANK TRANSFER.

I confused that Is they are scams or not? Are they refusing to pay after submitting the project?

I am confused because all their methods are outside Upwork. Anyone helps me, please.............

What's the confusion?

Don't accept payment outside UpWork, don't jeopardise your profile (ToS violations are serious).

sofia2008
Community Member

Communicating outside Upwork before being hires is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service

Accepting payment/paying outside Upwork is also a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service

These can get your account suspended.

Please stop sending/accepting proposals for now. I see you started the Academy class which is a great way to start. Continue and complete them.

I inform them to continue in Upwork but they say that:

Upwork doesn’t provide such service to us completely. The company and Upwork are having some disagreements due to constant removal and misplacing of our seasonal ads. understand what I explain to you? This has been an ongoing process due to the disagreement of both companies. This is what we are been using for a long time and a lot of Freestar have received their payments. That’s why our conversations are fully on telegram and from the company email

What is the truth?

They're scammers. That's the truth. 

elisa_b
Community Member

But they are also creative with their gibberish, we must acknowledge that...

The truth is what you agreed to when you signed up, including no communication outside Upwork, no payment outside Upwork.

Stop communicating with these scammers. They will never pay you anyway. 

If they're having so many problems with Upwork, why are they still posting projects here? 

Anyway, it doesn't matter. You are not allowed to contact clients outside of Upwork or accept contracts outside of Upwork. And these scammers may not have asked you for money yet, but that's because they're planning to make you work for several days and then ask you for money. You're making a big mistake if you're considering working for them.

df602768
Community Member

Your first mistake is communicating outside Upwork, which is against the platform's ToS.

Your second mistake is accepting payment outside Upwork, also against the platform's ToS.

Your third mistake is reaching out to the popular telegram clients.

I think we should be a little more gracious here to a new user who's asking for help/insights. I don't think she made any "mistakes", and instead of putting all the blame on her let's remember that the client is the one who is asking her to take things off upwork. 

Meena, I would suggest reporting the client to UpWork, as that's really your only course of action that won't get you in any "trouble".

Unfortunately, this happens from time to time. Don't get discouraged, just learn from this experience and take it forward with you. 

I hope your journey with UpWork becomes more fruitful - best of luck!

re: I don't think she made any "mistakes"

She made mistakes.

She came into the forum to ask if something was a scam, was told by several people that she's not allowed to communicate outside of Upwork or accept contracts outside of Upwork, then she continued to talk to the scammers and question whether they really are scammers. So yes, she did make mistakes.

She made mistakes that can get her suspended and unable to ever use upwork again. Pointing this out to her is not being ungracious, it is helpful. 

Thank you soo much for your replay... Thank you.

I ignore them. Now iam waiting for a good trusted job

ebrahimkhalil2
Community Member

If they pay outside of upwork then why they came here. Just ignore them. Maybe scammer. tell them u have to pay on upwork otherwise you can't work.

Thanks

100% scammers. 

Thank you all for the valuable information. I rejecte these scammers.

7303b839
Community Member

Waiting for 1st job

Hi, I am a new freelancer and I am looking for my first job on Upwork. I'm a professional Accountant. kindly have a look at my profile.  I have already submitted many proposals but am still searching for my first job. How can I get my first job?

bingiart
Community Member

According to my experience...

Scammers target freshers and post jobs where they get more proposals. For example Data Entry Jobs, Typing Jobs etc. Be careful if you do this kind of jobs.

So, how to find these scammers?

• They post jobs, but never Hire.
  • They share contact information on job posts. Sometimes there is a contact Number/Email ID in the attached document or image. 
  • They fix huge amount for simple job.
  • If you go under job posting, you will see many jobs like the one above. Sometimes only the title is changed.
  • With the help of VPN, similar jobs are posted from different countries.

Why are they here?

• Traffic has increased here for the last 3-4 years.
  • They are looking for loopholes. The biggest loophole here is that most people don't know about freelancing.

Know about freelance sites before starting work. Visit the UpWork blog. There are many good articles available there.

This is just my opinion.

Be Aware, Be Safe.

Thank Yoy Vijay for the valuable information

bingiart
Community Member

I also check these lists before applying for a job post.
* Payment Method Verified.
* 4+ Clients Rating.
* 75%+ Hiring Rate.
Mostly, I will apply for 5-6 countries job posts only.
This is just my practice. So far I have not met any scammers.

I hope this message helps you

Please check the attached files.

bingiart
Community Member

Important for data entry workers

Check this Expert talk

Identifying & Avoiding Scams : https://community.upwork.com/t5/Videos/Identifying-amp-Avoiding-Scams/ta-p/1088711

Thank you soo much Vijay

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths