🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Confused with client review
Page options
kimtanti
Community Member

Confused with client review

Hi there,

I am a freelance (mid-level experience in my field) who just finished my first gig on Upwork. I would love to know what I can do with the total 4.45-star review the client gave me. The work process went very well, and he was always impressed with my work. But the rating turned out he gave me only 4 star for the skills, quality, and cooperation. This really confuses me, and I am quite disappointed not knowing what went down in the process. I am looking to earn a living on Upwork, but this is not a good start. Do you guys think this could affect me in the long run? Are there any different approaches to look at this?

Many thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

That's a good score.

You received a perfect score or near-perfect score in all 6 out of 6 categories the client was asked to rate you on.

It looks like this client was being thoughful but also generous.

I think many clents simply click all 5's without even thinking about it, just to get it over with.

Not every client takes that approach. Clearly this one did not.

There is nothing you should worry about here.

kimtanti
Community Member

Thank you😀 I appreciate your advice

penngrp
Community Member

Don't get too wrapped up in the fact you went down a few points or did not receive a perfect 5 out of 5, because if you do this is not the thing for you. If you do stick with this you will have your fair share of 5 star reviews, but also a few 4, 3, 2, and dare I say 1 star reviews; but hey you just move on to the next job.

I have been on here since 2007 and during that time I have had JSS scores ranging from the upper 50's (possibly the 40's) to 100%. One thing I have learned is not to focus on the JSS. Instead, just focus on the project and the proposal. 

One a side-note I hope Thailand is starting to bounce back from all of the Covid-19 effects. I had lived there for about 5 years. 

yitwail
Community Member

One piece of advice I'd offer is to look at what sort of reviews the client has left on their previous jobs because some clients are reluctant to leave 5 star reviews. Of course there's nothing to check when the client is new like your first client. Regardless, best of luck with your new job. 

Learning Paths