🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Connects refund!
Page options
mistos
Community Member

Connects refund!

Hi,

I noticed that a lot of jobs I applied to were closed without any hire happening, still I didn't get my connects back. Is this normal in my case ?

Regards,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohamad,

Please send me a PM (Click on my name) with the job posts that you`re referring to, so that I can check this and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

100 REPLIES 100

Hi Lisandro,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your connects. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

thank you very much!
mparaskakis
Community Member

There are people complaining about this all over the Upwork community and I don't know why one key peice of information was never conveyed in the feature announcement.

In another thread the moderators clearly say that credits are NOT refunded when a job expires.

FYI, more jobs expire than are closed (by far) which makes the refund policy highly deceptive.

Educate your users Upwork!

Here are my tips to help people wasting money on credits. Feel free to cut and paste in every other thread where this consistent question appears -

1. Don't reply to people who have unverified payment. Period.

2. Avoid job posters with less than a 60% hiring rate.

3. Avoid posters who have not hired someone for years.

That's a great piece of advice!

Before reading it, I was here to complain about the same thing.

However, I have to say that when Upwork sends messages such as this; "A job that you submitted a proposal for, Content Creator Needed to Write/Repurpose Articles, has been closed or has expired" It's highly confusing.

Which one is it, as a closed job requires a refund?

Come on, Upwork; freelancers are spending money on your platform, so are your clients, please provide more clarity.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the message. I can confirm we shared feedback with our team about highlighting the information you're looking for on the Proposals page. However, I'd like to follow up on your statement here ("Which one is it, as a closed job requires a refund?") and clarify that Connects are refunded only in case a job is closed without hire. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Here are my tips to help people wasting money on credits. Feel free to cut and paste in every other thread where this consistent question appears -

1. Don't reply to people who have unverified payment. Period.

2. Avoid job posters with less than a 60% hiring rate.

3. Avoid posters who have not hired someone for years.

If the only "red flag" seems to be an unverified payment, those can be worth your while. Just like freelancers, new clients come to the platform every day and payment verification can take time. I've gotten to work with some fantastic new clients because they were a great fit despite their payment not being verified when I applied.  And if you receive an invitation, it doesn't hurt to reply since you don't use any connects. That said, certainly never start the work until payment is verified, but I wouldn't rule it out for applying in a lot of cases.  

changli
Community Member

Hello,

I am facing the same problem.

What should I do?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MIKAIA,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here and check your connects history for more details.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
changli
Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

Clients has already hired 2 (I am not include) and I have noticed that job was closed 3 days ago.

So I am waiting for refunded connects

Why aren't connects returned for expired job posts?

Hi Valentin,

Connects are refunded when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I still have pending query on this.

Agree, but if the client do not close and make it pending for a long time perios then whant can be the solution ?

sirazulrayhan1
Community Member

Hi,

This job close but i cannot back connect      ""Creative designer to design some branding presentations. I will provide logos. $8/ Hr"".   I noticed that a lot of jobs I applied to were closed without any hire happening, still I didn't get my connects back. I have same problem many jobs.

Regards,

sirazulrayhan1
Community Member

Hi,   

This job close but i can not get back  connect.

""Creative designer to design some branding presentations. I will provide logos. $8/ Hr"".

I noticed that a lot of jobs I applied to were closed without any hire happening, still I didn't get my connects back. I have many Same problem .

Regard

Hi Sirazul,

I checked and can see that the Connects you used for the job post you mentioned were actually returned. You can check this by going to the “Memberships and Connects” page under User Settings. To see a detailed list of the Connects that were returned, you can adjust the search filter from "All Connects" to show only "Refunded" so that way it'll be easier for you to check those, like in this example. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
655be748
Community Member

Nice Question.

artisurani
Community Member

Hello,
I have been facing the same issue regarding the refund of the connects. I have applied in many of the job posts in the past months where clients have not engaged with the freelancers and have let the post close without hiring anyone. I haven't got refund for any of those yet.

Can you please consider reframing this particular criteria of connects refund once? As it seems on the freelancer side it is just the waste of connects if the clients are not responive to the jobs they have posted.

I am also sharing here the links of few job posts in which I have not recieved a refund.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It would be great if you can change this criteria and allow the freenalcers to get the refund of the connects if the client is not doing any activity or hiring anyone. Thank you!

Regards,

Arti Surani

Hi Arti,

Thank you for sharing the job links. I checked all the shared job posts and noticed that all jobs expired due to inactivity from the client. I would like reiterate that Connects are refunded in the below situations only:

- When a client cancels their project before hiring anyone, you will receive the Connects you spent on your proposal. This does not apply to projects that have expired.
- When we remove a project from our platform because it violates our Terms of Service, you will also receive the Connects you spent on your proposal.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I will be sharing your suggestions with the relevant team. Meanwhile, you can refer to this help page for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep,

Thank you for investigating this matter. As you've pointed out, freelancers do not receive a refund of their connects when a job posting expires due to client inactivity. Since this situation is caused by the client's lack of engagement, it would be highly appreciated if you could provide us with a refund. We are regularly losing purchased connects in such cases.

From a logical standpoint, this approach isn't appropriate, and it fails to adequately recognize the value of our efforts and earnings. I respectfully urge you to initiate a comprehensive survey among all freelancers, aiming to rectify this issue. Alternatively, please inform us if there's a possibility of incorporating a feature that helps us gauge whether a client of this nature is worth considering or not.

Thanking in anticipation!

Regards,
Arti Surani

I understand your concern related to expired jobs, Arti. We want to ensure that clients close their jobs when they are done or no longer interested in hiring. To achieve this, we contact clients with open jobs regularly and remind them to close the job if they have no intention of hiring. We have increased our communication with clients who post jobs and don't hire, and we are exploring other ways to make sure these jobs get closed so you can get your Connects back in these situations.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and suggestions with us. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and satisfy our customers. Your suggestion has been passed on to the appropriate team.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths