🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Connects
Page options
cindyp151
Community Member

Connects

Hi,

Just signed up as a Freelancer here in Upwork. 

I submitted a proposal one month ago but there was no response from the client.  Question:

1) after 1 month, no feedback, I would assume that the client had already hired someone else. So, I withdrew my proposal, no knowing that my connects would not be returned.  Can someone help me out here.  Thanks

Cynthia

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cynthia, 

Thanks for your question. If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you. However, if they do not close the job, no Connects will be returned. We understand this isn’t ideal, and we regularly reach out to clients who have open job posts to encourage them to close them if they don’t intend to hire. Because we know the move to paid Connects has made this issue more important, we have already ramped up our outreach to clients who post jobs and don’t hire, and are looking into other ways to better ensure these jobs get closed so your Connects are returned in these cases.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery, 

I have had a similar problem with 1 client where I withdrew my proposal as they were not replying and connect my connects were gone. I gave 2 proposals new proposals, 3-4 days ago and have not received anything from them yet. One of them (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) has posted the same project as 3 different jobs and I feel like this makes no sense and I have lost my connects for no reason. Could you please check the link? You would find in the "Other open jobs from this client" that they have posted the same project with literally the same details about the project. These kind of clients are just in a sense wasting out connects and are not helping us neither Upwork. 

Thanks and Regards, 

Abhijeet

Hi Abhijeet,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share it with our team. 

We understand some clients unfortunately will post jobs, never hire and never close their jobs. We know this is frustrating and we will continue to reach out to clients to encourage them to hire or remove their job. We do, of course, also recommend you closely review the client’s details, such as past hire rate, to help you decide whether to use Connects to submit a proposal for a project. 

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Cynthia P wrote:

Hi,

Just signed up as a Freelancer here in Upwork. 

I submitted a proposal one month ago but there was no response from the client.  Question:

1) after 1 month, no feedback, I would assume that the client had already hired someone else. So, I withdrew my proposal, no knowing that my connects would not be returned.  Can someone help me out here.  Thanks

Cynthia

You can see on the job post if and how many people were hired. 

Generally, you should  not write a proposal and then wait for a response. Clients are swamped with proposals, it's a buyer's market by a huge margin. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths