Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact Upwork

takis_pagonis
Panagiotis Takis P Member Since: Jan 9, 2017
11 of 25

Dear Petra,

please allow me a comment on this ‘cause I face the exact same problem and have also not been able to locate a direct contact link to Upwork’s support. I had to invest time to search and luckily I found this post here. 

I fully understand your comment but there are exceptions and please bear with me ‘cause it’s going to be complicated Smiley Happy

It is possible that someone sends a name change request by mistake (at least in my case), that’s exactly what happened to me today. Let me explain how.

My first name is quite long (longer than my family name) and has a similarity to my family name (audible too). I’ve had numerous issues in the past with clients (plus entities, invoices I received, you name in) mixing up my first with my last name. And this can be very frustrating at times.

For this reason, but also because some people find it even difficult to pronounce, I’m using my short-form-first-name online since I live abroad and -most importantly, in regards of this post and my reply to your comment here - for many years in all my Social Media, Business Network accounts etc. As a result, all information about me and my work is found online (i.e. on Google) by typing my short-form-first-name followed by my family name (rather than my full first name followed by my family name).

Now, by setting up my Upwork account a couple of days ago, I (obviously) used my full first name ‘cause I thought that that’s the best thing to do in order for me to be able to receive payments for my work and invoice properly.

Later on I discovered (under Settings / Contact Info) the option “Invoice Address” which is marked as “Optional”. So I thought, nice! I can still use my short-form-first-name, the one I use in all my Social Media & Business Network accounts, the one that people can “Google me with online and find me on Upwork too”, and still be able to have my full first name displayed properly on my invoices. Well, that’s not the case as I discovered later. The “Invoice Address” only allows a change of the Invoice Address, not the name.

A couple of hours ago, I tried to change my first name (under Settings / Contact Info) and include my short-form-first-name but seconds after I clicked on the “Update” button I felt insecure about the change I did because I want to invoice properly. I then went back to change it again to my full first name (the one I registered with) and I saw this:

Your name change request is under review. Your request will be processed within 48 hours. Please review identity policy

As I saw this it was clear to me that I have to contact support and explain the situation, which, in lack of a direct support communication channel, brought me to this post.

Can you help me out with this one please? Is the name & family name under Settings / Contact Info the one appearing on my invoices? Cause if it is then there is unfortunately no way I can use my short-form-first-name with Upwork.

How can I cancel that name change request and how can someone directly contact Upwork?

Thanks a lot for your time reading this. Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Kind regards,

Takis (short-form-first-name)

and/or

Panagiotis (full first name)

P.s. perhaps I’ll keep a copy of this message to send it to my father who gave me that “long lasting” first name to begin with. Smiley Very Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 25

There's the rule and then there's the exception to the rule. You're probably the exception. Lots of fake profiles on here and there should be an automatic flag on an account for a name change.

takis_pagonis
13 of 25

Thanks for your reply Jennifer. I have seriously considered to change my first name for this reason but as I found out there's a ton of bureaucracy behind this.

Where from am I to receive a reply / support on this issue? Will Petra (or yourself) resolve this for me and reply my questions above? Shall I create a new post? Please advise. Thank you. 

takis_pagonis
14 of 25

Replying own comment as I guess I'm waiting for an Upwork moderator.  

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
15 of 25

@panagiotis P wrote:

Will Petra (or yourself) resolve this for me and reply my questions above? 

Petra, Jennifer, me and most of us are users of this site just as you, not Upwork agents. 

Upwork moderators on the forums have a little green UP logo next to their name.

If you have opened a ticket with the CS, you need to wait for their answer. Don't create new tickets, be patient. And maybe a moderator will come and look into this for you. They often do this.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
takis_pagonis
16 of 25

Thank you very much for this Rene, I reallized it before my previous post. I didn't open a ticket though. How do I do this? 

EDIT: I just found out how to open a ticket with CS on this issue and did so. Thanks again for your input Rene. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 25

-> Help section

-> Opening a ticket

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 25

Hi Panagiotis,

I see that your name change request has already been approved. You can request for it to be changed back in your Settings if you wish. However, it's better to have your official name on your profile as it also will match the information on the payment method you'll add and help you avoid other issues. I also don't find it more confusing that the version of the name you had on your profile before.

~ Valeria
Upwork
takis_pagonis
19 of 25

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Panagiotis,

I see that your name change request has already been approved. You can request for it to be changed back in your Settings if you wish. However, it's better to have your official name on your profile as it also will match the information on the payment method you'll add and help you avoid other issues.

Dear Valeria, many thanks for the information provided!

I’ve also noticed that my name change request has been processed and that my first name has been changed.

I’ve opened a support request (#17671163) before reading your reply - and before the change happened - asking to cancel the change name request.

Wouldn’t it be better to wait for a reply on this support request before I edit a new name change?

Also, you wrote that it's better to have my official name on my profile as it will match the information on the payment method.

As it appears now it is my official first name + my short-form-first-name added after it (I explained why here https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Contact-Upwork/m-p/287963#M7654 😞

1. Panagiotis = official first name
2. Panagiotis Takis = official first name + short form first name

Which name is displayed on my invoices?
Can first name 2 introduce any issues at all when I add my payment method (I'm planning to use PayPal)?

Thanks again, Valeria.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 25

Panagiotis,

A first name and a middle name. a first name and a nickname or a common variation of your name shouldn't create any issues with your withdrawals when you add your own PayPal account that's registered on your name and has the same email address as your Upwork account. 

Invoices to clients will show your profile name *Edited for clarity*

~ Valeria
Upwork