🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Contacting a Designer
Page options
cronisky
Community Member

Contacting a Designer

I’m logged into my account, then I go the page of a graphic designer that was recommended to me.  I look for a way to contact her and I cannot find it.  No contact link whatsoever.  What shall I do?

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Carlos:

It is easy to contact any designer or freelancer that you can find on Upwork.

After you create a job posting, you can click the "Invite" button to invite the freelancer to talk to you about your project.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 4.46.09 PM.png

This doesn't commit you to anything. This just gives you an opportunity to talk.

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  In order for me to contact someone, I have to first set up a job posting?  I cannot go straight to a graphic designer without creating a job posting?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carlos, 

This is correct. In order to initiate a conversation with a freelancer, the client will need to post a job in the Upwork marketplace. Freelancers can then send a proposal for the job post, or the client may choose to invite freelancers to apply for the job. From here, there two ways a client and a freelancer can initiate a conversation with each other: 

• If the client responds to a proposal, both the client and the freelancer can start sending each other messages
  • If the freelancer responds to an invite, the client and freelancer can start sending each other messages. 

I'm sorry if this is an inconvenience for you. This is working as designed to prevent users from sending each other spam messages. For your reference, I am sharing these articles here, and here, for more information about posting a job on Upwork.

Let me know if you have other questions. 

~ Avery
Upwork
cronisky
Community Member

Ahhh, of course, SPAM!!  Makes complete sense to me now.  Thanks for sharing the articles.

-- Carlos

On three separate occasions I've been contacted by clients WITHOUT a job post.  

It is usually in this form:

I'm reaching out to discuss:

* Your availability

* Your expertise

* My budget

How is this possible?

Hi Robin, 

We did have a test where a few clients had the option of directly sending messages to freelancers. You may read more about it here. 

~ Avery
Upwork

For the record:

It is really not an "inconvenience" to post a job first before contacting a freelancer.

A client can create a job posting in a minute. One does not to write a master's thesus project description. A sentence or two summarizing what it is that I need help with is all that it takes.

Hi Avery,

Thanks for the information.  However that was in July and I was contacted as recently as this past November.  When does Beta end?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths