🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Contract cancellation after work submission
Page options
ctacservicess
Community Member

Contract cancellation after work submission

Had a bad experience working with Client and want to report so other freelancer are not cheated and i find a way out to handle the exisitng and any scenerio in future.

Completed 95% work, client checked and asked to transfer data on his UAT server so his end client can test. Within 5-7 hours of uploading on his server, he cancelled job with unreasonable logic/points.

Client also ask to pay more for the job and get some of the work done from outside, payed from my pocket to other freelancer for his additional work and he flew with my money.

We only have 30% of money on hold in Escrow and even if he get it, he lost our effort and costing. Also client feedback will not be good in case of Dispute, So freelancer always in Loss?

Bad experience, how we can be safe in such scenarios, we can't ask client to pay and then we will handover project. What is the best method, i have read upwork policies but didn't came across any such policy.

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nishant,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client. Keep in mind that our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers does not cover promised funds or unfunded milestones. Before completing the work always make sure that the full agreed amount is funded on your milestone. Once you have completed your work you need to submit it on your milestone in order to be protected under our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran, a new learning. 

One query: Most of the cases client want us to deploy the changes at their end, how to tackle such cases, should we submit the work with attachment first and later with delpoyment. Does upwork gurantee protection in such case, if not what is the best way to tackle.

Appreciate your reply. 

Hi Nishant. The only protection you have on fixed price jobs is from the funds in escrow. So you need to ensure that the amount in escrow is sufficient to cover the work you're doing as well as any expenses, such as subcontracting. 

Even if your work is covered by escrow, there is no "guarantee" you will be paid. Ultimately, if you and your client cannot agree on how much of the escrow funds you should receive, then you would have to go to arbitration.

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Nishant,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client. Keep in mind that our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers does not cover promised funds or unfunded milestones. Before completing the work always make sure that the full agreed amount is funded on your milestone. Once you have completed your work you need to submit it on your milestone in order to be protected under our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers. Thank you!

Goran,

I think the OP deserves more than the generic response, and I think Upwork should investigate. Whatever the ins and outs of the case are, the OP's client is  completely out of line and his account should be suspended.

Nishant wrote: 

"Completed 95% work, client checked and asked to transfer data on his UAT server so his end client can test. Within 5-7 hours of uploading on his server, he cancelled job with unreasonable logic/points.

Client also ask to pay more for the job and get some of the work done from outside, payed from my pocket to other freelancer for his additional work and he flew with my money."

This is unacceptable. Clients should not threaten freelancers in this way. 

Thanks Nichola, Appreciate your help.

Not sure, if someone working here or i need to escalate at any other medium. 

Thanks

Hi Nishant,

If you need further help with something or you have questions feel free to send me a PM at any time with more details. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Dear Goran, 

I am waiting for your help in this matter only. 

Do suggest, how and where i can escalte this, if you have limitation.

Thanks

Hi Nishant,

I can see that you have an open dispute but if this is for another contract please send me a PM(click on my name) with the contract ID and I will assist you further. Or if you have any other questions feel free to reach out to me via PM if private details are involved.  Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths