🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Contract cancellation by freelancer
Page options
80dbc832
Community Member

Contract cancellation by freelancer

Hi,

If I have a contract with a client with two milestones. I have submitted the work for the first milestone. But the client is not satisfied and request a revision. I am afraid that in the future, maybe this client will not be comfortable with my work for the second milestone too. What will happen in case if I cancel the contract? Does it enable the client to leave a review?

Looking forward to learning from you. 

Areeb

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Areeb:
Freelancers may cancel a contract at any time.

You can cancel the contract BEFORE you get paid anything, by releasing the initial escrow payment back to the client. That will prevent there from being any pay, which will have a negative impact on your JSS, but that is a choice you may make.

If you ALREADY submitted the work for the first milestone, then I recommend you wait until that payment is released to you.

Then, if you don't want to do the next milestone, you can talk to the client about it and recommend that he hire somebody else for the task, somebody who will "do a better job of that type of work for you."

Do you want to know the truth?
The client doesn't really care about you that much. The client doesn't REALLY care if YOU complete the work. The client just wants the work done. So if you are really honest with the client and tell the client that you want his project to succeed but you know you're not the right person to do the second milestone... if you do these things and HELP the client find success by hiring somebody else... Then I think the client will appreciate your honesty and professionalism. I think that appreciation will be reflected in his feedback to you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Areeb:
Freelancers may cancel a contract at any time.

You can cancel the contract BEFORE you get paid anything, by releasing the initial escrow payment back to the client. That will prevent there from being any pay, which will have a negative impact on your JSS, but that is a choice you may make.

If you ALREADY submitted the work for the first milestone, then I recommend you wait until that payment is released to you.

Then, if you don't want to do the next milestone, you can talk to the client about it and recommend that he hire somebody else for the task, somebody who will "do a better job of that type of work for you."

Do you want to know the truth?
The client doesn't really care about you that much. The client doesn't REALLY care if YOU complete the work. The client just wants the work done. So if you are really honest with the client and tell the client that you want his project to succeed but you know you're not the right person to do the second milestone... if you do these things and HELP the client find success by hiring somebody else... Then I think the client will appreciate your honesty and professionalism. I think that appreciation will be reflected in his feedback to you.

Kindly reply,
I have posted a job 2 weeks ago and hired a lady for that job. She clicked some photos and shared it but i ask for a revision because photos need to be edited and she was agree to it. But all of sudden she ended the contract today.
Now my question is how can i get my money back as freelancer ended up the contract.
Thank You
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdullah, 

I checked refund status for you, and can confirm that your refund was successful on our end. You can check this in your Transactions. After the refund is initiated, it typically takes 2 to 5 business days for the money to be refunded back to your credit card. 

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,
I have created a job 2 weeks before and hired a freelancer for my work. But unfortunately she couldn't completed her job and all of sudden ended her contract today. So my question is how can i have my money back because she leave before completing her job
robin_hyman
Community Member

If I have a contract with a client with two milestones. I have submitted the work for the first milestone. But the client is not satisfied and request a revision. I am afraid that in the future, maybe this client will not be comfortable with my work for the second milestone too. What will happen in case if I cancel the contract? Does it enable the client to leave a review?

If you cancel the contract without getting paid, your JSS will be impacted. It's possible the client won't be satisfied after the revision. What you should do is try to get information on what the client liked/didn't like. If you don't get that information, do the best you can. The client may still be unsatisfied but at least you tried. If you had a decent relationship throughout the project, it shouldn't hurt your JSS too much and you will get paid for your efforts!

maher-hex
Community Member

Hi, best is don't close the contract before the client is satisfied with the initial work, for example, I submit work for review and the client and I don't end the contract until they are satisfied. If you closed the contract though, try to talk to the client to see what they disliked, and perhaps you could correct your mistakes and the client can change their feedback.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths