🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Contract process for a new freelancer
Page options
brunwardo
Community Member

Contract process for a new freelancer

Good afternoon, 

I am new to the site as a freelance writer and received my first contract after a proposal and some dialogue with the client.  

Are the contract for blog writers standard?  I didn't see any info on compensation for the project in the contract though we had discussion through the messenger.

My second question:  the client indicated that after the contract was returned, I would be hired through the Upwork site.  Is that where the compensation details will be outlined.

The only reason I am skeptical right now on my first potential project is the job was posted as hourly, but we worked out a per word payment agreement that I couldn't alter because the job was set up as an hourly rate.

Thanks for any help you can be to a new freelancer on Upwork.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I didn't see any info on compensation for the project in the contract though we had discussion through the messenger."

Discussing work via Upwork messenger does not constitute a contract.

You only have a contract if you can click on My Jobs -> My Jobs in the Upwork website and see an active contract listed. There will be either a dollar amount (fixed-price contracts) or an hourly rate.

If you don't see that, then you don't have a contract. If you don't see that, you will not be paid.

There is no such thing as a contract without "info on compensation for the project in the contract."

re: "the client indicated that after the contract was returned, I would be hired through the Upwork site.  Is that where the compensation details will be outlined."

This guy is jerking you around.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Are the contract for blog writers standard?"

Ryan:

Upwork has standard contract language for:

- fixed-price contracts

- hourly contracts

The default contract language is the same regardless of category, whether it is blog writing or illustration or baking cakes and photographing them for cookbooks.

re: "I didn't see any info on compensation for the project in the contract though we had discussion through the messenger."

Discussing work via Upwork messenger does not constitute a contract.

You only have a contract if you can click on My Jobs -> My Jobs in the Upwork website and see an active contract listed. There will be either a dollar amount (fixed-price contracts) or an hourly rate.

If you don't see that, then you don't have a contract. If you don't see that, you will not be paid.

There is no such thing as a contract without "info on compensation for the project in the contract."

re: "the client indicated that after the contract was returned, I would be hired through the Upwork site.  Is that where the compensation details will be outlined."

This guy is jerking you around.

Thank you for the feedback.  I will call him out on it.  Have a great day.

Well... my advice is to always be nice, in case there is some misunderstanding.

Especially considering the fact that you're new. And who knows... Maybe he is new.

Possibly this is a real client who really intends to hire you. But the bottom line is if there is nothing in My Jobs -> My Jobs, there is no contract.

In case the client doesn't know how to do this the right way, what he needs to do is click the big green "Hire" button next to your name. (This is what he sees in the client-side interface. Not what you see in the freelancer-side interface.)

If he clicks the "Hire" button, then it will cause a contract offer to be sent to you. You'll get an email. And when you click on "Find Work -> Proposals", you will see an offer, with a green "Accept" button.

I went about it in a very nice way and gave him the feedback to submit the contract through the site and the hire button.  After what began as a lot of communication throughout the day yesterday ended on his end the moment I said that.  Smiley Sad

Good afternoon all, 

Hopefully just one more follow up question.  The client has responded to me that what he has sent is an agreement that they have all contractors sign before hiring that states articles can be used on their website and related media, the article is genuine and the paid article should not be distributed elsewhere.  He has added the pay per word component to the agreement and indicated that once it is signed, the contract would be processed through Upwork.

The client does have two reviews with five stars and also has open jobs with hires and money spent, so I'm thinking this might be legit and I may have been confusing an agreement with a contract.  Is the agreement something commons for the writers on the site?  Am I out of line asking to sign the agreement after I get the actual contract signed.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful with my rookie questions.

Ryan 

@Ryan B wrote:

Good afternoon all, 

Hopefully just one more follow up question.  The client has responded to me that what he has sent is an agreement that they have all contractors sign before hiring that states articles can be used on their website and related media, the article is genuine and the paid article should not be distributed elsewhere.  He has added the pay per word component to the agreement and indicated that once it is signed, the contract would be processed through Upwork.

The client does have two reviews with five stars and also has open jobs with hires and money spent, so I'm thinking this might be legit and I may have been confusing an agreement with a contract.  Is the agreement something commons for the writers on the site?  Am I out of line asking to sign the agreement after I get the actual contract signed.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful with my rookie questions.

Ryan 

Do a forum search for "NDA" and you'll find lots of info. You might also find it more helpful to post to the writer's forum for advice.

Thank you Virginia, this was so helpful!  I have a lot to read and learn on here in the near future.  The NDA info was very useful and this particular one is not concerning based on all of Preston's input from the NDA search.

You guys rock!

Ryan 

NDA - be sure it doesn't contain your personal information, other than your name.  Also make sure it doesn't have a non-compete clause.

@Ryan B wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.  I will call him out on it.  Have a great day.

Ryan,

It may be that the client is also new and does not know how things work, so I wouldn't "call him out on it".

Before any more bidding or interviews, you may find it useful to read up on how contracts and getting paid works. There's plenty of good info and this is a good start: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

It will also help you to look at all the menus/submenus on your account page to acquaint yourself of where everything is located.

If you really want to blow your mind with useful information... Go into your account settings and set up a company account, so that you can be a client.

Click on your name on the upper-right hand side of the Upwork web page...

[Your Name] -> Settings -> Create a company

By "creating a company" you enable yourself to hire freelancers as a client. (Don't worry, you don't really need to own a company, and don't really create a "company", by the way.)

As a client, you can see the interface the way clients see it. Try posting a simple job, hiring somebody, receiving the work, and closing the contract. Then you'll have a complete picture of what things are like for a client.

Thank you for this feedback!

kat303
Community Member

The only reason I am skeptical right now on my first potential project is the job was posted as hourly, but we worked out a per word payment agreement that I couldn't alter because the job was set up as an hourly rate.

Be careful with how the terms are set up in the contract.

If the contract is set up by the client as hourly, then you need to download, install, open and use Time tracker and write notes on the screen shots it takes. For hourly contracts a clients account needs to be verified BEFORE you start working. And, for hourly jobs, you're paid for the hours you log, NOT for the number of words you type.

If the contract is set as a fixed rate, then you will be paid for the number of words you type. For fixed rate jobs, make sure the clients account is verified, and escrow is FULLY funded for the ENTIRE amount you want to be paid BEFORE you start work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths