🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Contract
Page options
arfat-hossen
Community Member

Contract

I want to start a new contract with the same client. I want to request him like this ( The example given below )...

We have been working together for 1 long year. I am requesting you to finish the old contract and start a new contract which will be very useful for my profile. If you increase the hourly rate it inspires me very much. Is it perfect?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
data_divas
Community Member

Hi (insert Client name here)! I've enjoyed working for you this past year on this project.  I wanted to let you know that my rates are changing starting January 1st of 2022 to (insert new hourly rate here) and give you time to find a replacement freelancer if needed.  I'd love to keep working with you and hope you'll be agreeable to closing this one and signing a new contract next year.

Let me know what you think,

Arfat

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it perfect?"

I think it can be improved.

I recommend that you hold off on sending the message until you can receive some feedback from other people in the Forum.

I will offer my opinion:

Your message makes it sound like this is an option for the client.

I believe that the client will be better served if he understands exactly what he needs to do, and if he understands that it isn't up to him to decide whether or not your hourly rate is being increased.

Arfat's hourly rate is being increased. The client needs to close the current contract and after doing so, he will be allowed to create a new contract at the new hourly rate.

The choice that the client has is whether or not to continue working with Arfat.

The client has no choice about whether or not Arfat's hourly rate is increasing.

I'm not suggesting specific language for the message. Maybe other Forum participants will help with that.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Arfat H wrote:

I want to start a new contract with the same client. I want to request him like this ( The example given below )...

We have been working together for 1 long year. I am requesting you to finish the old contract and start a new contract which will be very useful for my profile. If you increase the hourly rate it inspires me very much. Is it perfect?

Were I the client, I might be offended by the LONG year, you make it sound as if it's a terrible burden to work with me! It isn't! I'm pleasant as heck!

Maybe I also don't care too much about your profile and your ability to find other work, because I want you to work for me, not for anybody else! Finally, don't make your inspiration (or motivation) dependent on a pay increase. 

Sorry, hard no to the above. You need to sell this better. 

First, simply be more friendly, you sound a bit harsh. 

It could be something like: Dear Client, I'm enjoying working with you very much, and I'd love to continue doing so! Time just flies, and it seems a year has passed since we started our contract. Wow, right? After a year, I always ask my long-term clients for a review of my performance and an appropriate increase in pay. When do you have time to discuss this?

Don't use what I wrote. Parts of it are not meant to be taken seriously. 

data_divas
Community Member

Hi (insert Client name here)! I've enjoyed working for you this past year on this project.  I wanted to let you know that my rates are changing starting January 1st of 2022 to (insert new hourly rate here) and give you time to find a replacement freelancer if needed.  I'd love to keep working with you and hope you'll be agreeable to closing this one and signing a new contract next year.

Let me know what you think,

Arfat

Julie, that was very kind of you to craft a note for a freelancer who perhaps has English as his second language. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths