Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contractor asked for work before hiring

acamacho11
Arturo C Member Since: Mar 30, 2018
1 of 13

Hi all,

I posted for a translation job recently and the contractor mailed me sending his file. I thanked him and asked him for deadline, he said: ASAP. So I started making the translation and sent it about 4 hours later.

The guy never hired me nor replied me any of my messages on that message screen.

Have I been scamed? Can I report him? how? The contractor seems to have very good reputation by other freelancers. Could it be possible that he never read my messages? Can I contact him some other way?

Thanks!

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Yes, you have been scammed. 

Never, ever, ever work without a contract is in place. I don't care if the client is jumping up and down and says he needs it in 2 mins. You bascially worked for free. 

View solution in original post

acamacho11
3 of 13

But I still can open the message window where I left him my work, is he able to read my messages? Or I might be writing to nobody?. I even see his green light when he's online... I just don't know if he is able to read my messages or not.

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
4 of 13
You're the contractor. He's the client.

Never work without a contract. Upwork can't do anything because you didn't insist on a contract.

Never do work before you are officially hired. I used to be more trusting, but it's just not worth the consequences.

You've lost time and effort that can't be regained. You could report him for asking for free work, but you essentially agreed to free work without a contract in place, so learn from this and move on.

If he stopped replying to you, that should have been your first red flag. He probably found someone else but you still continued to do the work. Unfortunately, you're at fault here, too.
acamacho11
5 of 13

I just want to tell him 2 or 3 things before forgetting the issue. Is he able to read my messages? He hasn't replied me since the ASAP message...

unostar
Alexei D Member Since: Jan 3, 2017
6 of 13

Just try to contact the guy again before making any conclusions.

I made work prior to contract several times and always was paid for, usually with bonus. Maybe i's my experience to select only good clients, or may be I'm lucky, idk Smiley Happy 

Anyways, you've at least got invaluable experience Smiley Wink

Good luck next time!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 13

@Alexei D wrote:

I made work prior to contract several times and always was paid for, usually with bonus.

This is totally stupid. And more stupid is to encourage others to do the same thing.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
acamacho11
8 of 13

How can I report him?

unostar
Alexei D Member Since: Jan 3, 2017
9 of 13

@Rene K wrote:

@Alexei D wrote:

I made work prior to contract several times and always was paid for, usually with bonus.

This is totally stupid. And more stupid is to encourage others to do the same thing.

Unjustified arrogant statement. Not encouraging anyone here to do the same.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 13

@Arturo C wrote:

Have I been scamed?

Absolutely not. You did a volunteer work and you sent a translation to someone for free. If you wanted to be paid for it, you would have waited for a contract. You didn't.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless