🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Country is not listed (I want to verify my id...
Page options
tahamarketer
Community Member

Country is not listed (I want to verify my identity)

Hi there,

I recently finished my first gig, and the client approved my work and released the money, and then immediately Upwork showed an alert that I need to verify my identity, but I can't find my country on the list.

What can I do now? Upwork is showing an alert on the top of every page that I still have about 4 days before they put on account on Hold.

16 REPLIES 16
prestonhunter
Community Member

What country is not in the list?

Libya

Libya is not listed here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067778-Eligibility-to-Join-and-Use-Upwork

...But is not be an option at this time due to lack of financial options.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/My-bank-account-is-in-another-country-And-my-country-is-...

However, Malik suggests: "As a Libyan citizen you can create a bank account in Tunisia with your residential permission. I suggest opening a bank account in Tunisia and use it in the registration."

Thanks Preston!

Yes, I know that Libya is not listed in the banned country list on the "Eligibility to Join and Use Upwork" web page, I checked that page before I submit my question here.

I also know that I can open a bank account in Tunisia, it's the nearest neighboring country for me, and I have a Payoneer account as well.

But, do you mean that now I can submit my identity papers and set the country form field to Tunisia? (Although I have a Libyan passport).

On the verification page, there is a comment on the right side of the page that says "If you don't see your country on the list contact us", but on the linked page there is no link or button or contact information. that's why I'm asking here.

Taha:
I don't know.

I just provided a link to a thread in which this question was discussed, and a Libyan freelancer indicated something that worked for him, and I copied-and-pasted what he wrote.

I don't know anything about this.

I know that when I do a search, there are Upwork freelancers whose profile pages identifies them as living in Libya.

So... There must be some way for them to set up payment withdrawal. Or maybe they are all in the same boat you are in: Can set up a freelancer account, but can't set up a payment withdrawal method.

There is a link on Upwork's site:

https://www.upwork.com/l/countries/

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 10.08.42 AM.png

...but the page this links to does not necessarily work to show you freelancers from Libya:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 10.10.45 AM.png

When I searched for freelancers in Libya and looked for freelancers whose profile pages identify them as CURRENTLY located in Libya, then all of the pages were either

- set to private so I couldn't see them

[or]

- had no earnings or jobs posted

Preston H wrote:

Taha:
I don't know.

I just provided a link to a thread in which this question was discussed, and a Libyan freelancer indicated something that worked for him, and I copied-and-pasted what he wrote.

The response from the Upwork moderator in that thread is that "Upwork is not available in all countries, and Libya is not a serviced country." And if you follow the link at the bottom of this page, Libya is on the SDN list. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067778-Eligibility-to-Join-Upwork

This is NOT my area of expertise, so I think that the OP should contact Upwork instead of trying to find a workaround.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Taha,

Unfortunately, we can't provide service in some locations due to limitations with our payment partners. That's why certain countries won't be available as an option when signing up for an account or verifying it. I'd also like to note that users agree  to provide true, accurate, and complete information about their identity, location, business, skills, and  services. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support request to address your account concerns.

~ Valeria
Upwork
905a632b
Community Member

x

Hi Taofeeq,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, we can't provide service in some locations due to limitations with our payment partners. That's why certain countries won't be available as an option when signing up for an account or verifying it. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support request to address your account concerns.

Eddited to update information. 

I am sorry for the confusion. Could you please clarify if you need any further assistance? 

~ Nikola
Upwork
bluesky22
Community Member

Hello

I'm from Libya I done first job for me and in page shows that I need to verify my ID,

I couldn't find Libya in the list, and I'm not staying permanently in one country between Tunisia and Libya,

How can I do the Identity verification?

Thanks

Hi Saeed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, we can't provide service in some locations due to limitations with our payment partners. That's why certain countries won't be available as an option when signing up for an account or verifying it. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support request to address your account concerns.

~ Nikola
Upwork
yaseen_sh
Community Member

Hello Nikola S!

I need your help. I have been a  happy member of the Upwork community for more than two years by now. I received a random message to update my tax information with regard to filling the W-8BEN form if needed. I tried to update my already filled info but cant find my country of citizenship in the list. I am an Afghan by nationality but live in Pakistan as a refugee. What shall I do? Just for your info, my information has already been entered under the W-8 from before stating that I am not a US person. Now;

1. Do I still need to update it?

2. If yes, what should I do about the "country of my citizenship" option as it doesn't let me continue without having it filled?

Thank you for your support,

Yas

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your message. Yes, you will need to update the W-8BEN form again with all the required details. Your country of citizenship should match your ID documents used for verifying your Upwork account.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep! Thank you for the revert. However, my question still remains that what shall I do if my country is not in the list?

yaseen_sh
Community Member

Hello Pradeep! Thank you for the revet. However, my question still remains that what shall I do if my country is not in the list?

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your patience. I shared your report with our dedicated team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths