🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Cover Letter
Page options
e01e52f3
Community Member

Cover Letter

Hello,

I'm very new to freelance work and wanted to start putting myself out there for some work. I'm interested in doing graphics desgining/data entry. I just wanted to know if anyone could give me tips or sample cover letters for applying to graphic designer jobs (at the beginner level) that would be very appreciated.

I don't have any work that pertains to graphic over work so I can't use any as attachments or for a portfolio. I really am just a beginner to freelance work.

Thank you very much for your time!

Ahmad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Ahm D wrote:

Hello,

I'm very new to freelance work and wanted to start putting myself out there for some work. I'm interested in doing graphics desgining/data entry. I just wanted to know if anyone could give me tips or sample cover letters for applying to graphic designer jobs (at the beginner level) that would be very appreciated.

I don't have any work that pertains to graphic over work so I can't use any as attachments or for a portfolio. I really am just a beginner to freelance work.

Ahmad

Clients are not looking for beginners, but rather freelancers with real world experience.

If, as you say, you're new, then I suggest a more truthful overview: "... A professional graphic designer with a long time work experience and doing Logo, Business card, Flyer, Packaging, T-Shirts and other graphic designs here on upwok Check out my gigs and place your order for what you are looking for!"

What "long time experience"? What "gigs" are clients supposed to be checking out? If you're a "professional", then surely you have a portfolio. If none of that is true, I suggest that you rewrite your entire overview to more accurately reflect what skill you are experienced in. This is not the place to "learn as you go".

Also, you must be 18 to work on Upwork.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mtngigi
Community Member

Ahm D wrote:

Hello,

Ahmad

Clients are not looking for beginners, but rather freelancers with real world experience.

If, as you say, you're new, then I suggest a more truthful overview: "... A professional graphic designer with a long time work experience and doing Logo, Business card, Flyer, Packaging, T-Shirts and other graphic designs here on upwok Check out my gigs and place your order for what you are looking for!"

What "long time experience"? What "gigs" are clients supposed to be checking out? If you're a "professional", then surely you have a portfolio. If none of that is true, I suggest that you rewrite your entire overview to more accurately reflect what skill you are experienced in. This is not the place to "learn as you go".

Also, you must be 18 to work on Upwork.

e01e52f3
Community Member

thank you

e01e52f3
Community Member

Virginia F

I am 19 years old and I am a new graphics designer but I gave a lot of interviews but did not get a job

mtngigi
Community Member

Ahm D wrote:

Virginia F

I am 19 years old and I am a new graphics designer but I gave a lot of interviews but did not get a job

It is not a simple matter of just learning how to do something. Acquiring a skill is one thing - if you want to freelance you must also know how to run your own business, how to interact and work well with clients, how to write bids, keep books, manage your time, etc.

At your age, I suggest you try and get some real-world experience first - find someone or place to intern with, do a little pro bono work for a non-profit.

e01e52f3
Community Member

Virginia F

I've been working as a graphic designer since I was 11 years old 

I worked as a graphic designer / web designer with several companies but no longer
I am very famous for this work in my city
But a friend of mine works at uowork and he earn good money
Then I thought I'd work on upwork
But here I found nothing

Your profile needs a lot of work. It doesn't set you apart in any way from any other graphic designer. If you're famous in your city for your artwork, then you should be saying what you are famous for in your city on your profile and pictures of your artwork in a portfolio. 

Also, you are not Native or Bilingual English speaking, so I would adjust that to Conversational on your profile. 

e01e52f3
Community Member

Spoiler

Hello,

Ahmad

Hi Ahmad,

It's nice to see you put in this field of freelancers. What a big step in your life.
I just wanted to provide a bit of advice. Just keep learning and pull off your mindset into an objective. Apply your cv in a project that you definitely skilled. You should make a strong profile (just searching for a top-rated freelancer in Upwork, and you can have a look at their profile to learn how you'll make your profile).
Sorry for my English. I am still improving my English.
Let me know if you any mistakes in my English.

Regards,
Nofi

thank you sir 

The majority of clients will not hire a graphic designer who has no portfolio. First you must learn how to be a graphic designer, THEN you can apply for jobs. You can't apply for jobs and then learn, that's not how this works. Even beginners need to know what they're doing; they shouldn't have no experience or training at all.

A proposal is very different from a cover letter.  A proposal is a response to a specific job, selling your expertise and experience.

I have hired dozens of artists on Upwork.

I don't recall ever reading anything that an artist wrote in a cover letter, or anything written on an artist's profile page.

I just look at their Upwork portfolios.

Do you think I'm not a graphic designer?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ahm, 

I checked your profile and would recommend that you edit your profile overview with more information about your skills and experience. In the past 6-years in this field, what projects did you finish, how good are you at the skills you mentioned? I would also suggest that you add up more portfolio items so that your client can have a look at what sort of projects you have completed in each skill. 

You may want to read up on the resources we have compiled here for more tips on how you can improve your profile and your proposals on Upwork. The team will also reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths