🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Craigslist Posting
Page options
6c08e919
Community Member

Craigslist Posting

Hello,

I recently submitted a job for posting classified ads on Craigslist, however I received an email notifying me that it was removed due to violations of the "Terms of Service". I have 15 different ads that I would like to have posted and renewed in one market over a span of about 6 months. Based on my research, this is a common strategy for Craigslist advertisers and the number of ads I'm interested in posting is quite small. That said, I'd like to understand how this violates the terms of service and how I can modify my request so that it doesn't get flagged and removed again in the future.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Craigslist's ToS forbid using freelancers to post ads, so those jobs are not allowed on Upwork because they violate the terms of another site.

6c08e919
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your response, that's very helpful. Does that mean the dozens of other "Craigslist Posting" services that show up when searching google are all violating Craigslist's ToS? How are these services able to advertise posting hundreds of ads per day for their clients? 

yitwail
Community Member

Andy M wrote:

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your response, that's very helpful. Does that mean the dozens of other "Craigslist Posting" services that show up when searching google are all violating Craigslist's ToS? How are these services able to advertise posting hundreds of ads per day for their clients? 

They can advertise whatever they want, if there are people willing to pay them to violate Craigslist policy, and they can trick naive freelancers into doing their dirty work while they make out like bandits.

re: "Thanks for your response, that's very helpful. Does that mean the dozens of other "Craigslist Posting" services that show up when searching google are all violating Craigslist's ToS? How are these services able to advertise posting hundreds of ads per day for their clients?"

If you are doing a Google search, that has nothing to do with Upwork. Upwork does not control Google and Upwork is not associated with what people offer to do outside of Upwork.

I appreciate your interest in this topic, and I know that you simply want correct information so that you can do the right thing, but if you have questions about CraigsList, you would need to ask those questions at CraigsList. Upwork can't provide authoritative information about that topic.

Also: It IS OKAY for Upwork freelancers to offer help related to CraigsList, as long as the services they are providing do not violate CraigsList policies.

Andy M wrote:

....Does that mean the dozens of other "Craigslist Posting" services that show up when searching google are all violating Craigslist's ToS? How are these services able to advertise posting hundreds of ads per day for their clients? 

This just in: Dodgy stuff happens on the Internet, bolstered by enthusiastic cheerleaders for the dodginess.

I appreciate everyone's quick responses on this topic! I'm not even offended by the sarcastic ones :). 

I will say that my Upwork job was matched to 12 pages of freelancers, the majority of whom (on the first 3 pages at least) made reference to using different IP addresses and setting up different phone numbers to complete their classified ads postings. That said, freelance Craigslist posting is undoubtedly happening on this platform. I have a feeling that folks are hiding their true intent when writing job post descriptions in order to skirt the issue though.

Indeed. Don't get us started on academic fraud. We can't seem to shut up about it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths