🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Customer Education
Page options
smkiger
Community Member

Customer Education

I don't mean this sarcastically. However does UpWork educate clients about what is reasonable when posting a job? 

I see lots of clients asking for an 'expert' in this or that but posting a $20 job. Should they expect to get a php expert for $20? Or even a web design 'expert'? Should UpWork educate clients on what are reasonable expectations? Seems allowing this expectation drives down our rates and then possibly the quality of work as well.

When a customer is posting a $100 job should they be asking for a freelancer with $10k in revenue? Should the new clients have to prove their strength in hiring by hiring at least one new freelancer before they are allowed to request a freelancer with $10k in revenue? Or have some sort of perk offered to clients to hire new or rising talent freelancers? 

I just looked at a job where the client has a WIX website but wants to go to a WordPress website. Amount spent is $100 but the client requires a freelancer with $10k revenue. This is much like clients that want an 'expert' for $20. This is why I am asking these questions here. It seems UpWork could do more to educate clients about reasonable expectations?

The largest hurdle is getting your first job. I don't see UpWork doing much to help us get the first job besides lots of advice that again has not done anything to help me get even one interview much less a hire.

I don't even understand the relevance or need for any client to know how much revenue a freelancer has obtained. Seems this could work against freelancers more than improve their job aquisitions. 

I still don't see UpWork doing much to help new freelancers besides this forum. This is a good forum however posting here and reading the posts here have not helped me much. I still have no hires and not even one interview in six months and 60 proposals. 

1 REPLY 1
wescowley
Community Member

Michael K wrote:

I see lots of clients asking for an 'expert' in this or that but posting a $20 job. Should they expect to get a php expert for $20? Or even a web design 'expert'? Should UpWork educate clients on what are reasonable expectations? Seems allowing this expectation drives down our rates and then possibly the quality of work as well.

There are really two kinds of jobs that get posted with those low rates. For a lot of them, yes, the client really expects they'll get an expert for that price and, given that this is a global platform with people from areas with all levels of income standards, they'll get probably someone to do the job at that rate.

There's also a lot of people that don't know how much a job should cost and just put a number on there, expecting the freelancer to bid their quote.

With some time, you may get to where you can tell the two apart reasonably accurately. If they have a history of low paying jobs, they're likely in the first camp. Skip them. For the ones that look like they may be in the second camp, bid your rate. 

If I may, your profile description needs work and is likely one of the biggest hindrances to you getting interviews. I suggest you use the freelancer search to look for others in your field and see what the successful ones' profiles look like. There's also a lot of resources in the pinned threads at the top of this forum.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths