🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Cyber Security
Page options
3d0ff0c9
Community Member

Cyber Security

If I download a document on to my computer that is a work product from one of Upwork's freelancers, is it safe in terms of bugs or other spyware that could compromise my computer or personal information? 

6 REPLIES 6
AndreaG

H Rudy,

If you're concerned about General Electronic Security you can check out this help article for some tips and best practices you can use to help keep yourself safe.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
3d0ff0c9
Community Member

I’m concerned specifically about downloading a work product from a freelancer through Upwork. Does Upwork protect against that? How should one protect oneself?

Hi Rudy,

I would suggest that you please check out the help article that Andreas shared on this thread to learn more about protecting your computer and your private information everywhere you go, including on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
3d0ff0c9
Community Member

I guess no one is going to answer the question directly.

Rudy:

Upwork has automated malware/virus filters that it applies to files processed through its system. But Upwork is not a cyber security company. Upwork offers no assurances about the safety of files that freelancers send you.

I can assure you that when it comes to files provided to you by freelancers you hire, they are almost certainly safe. But Upwork makes no guarantees whatsoever about those files being safe. That would be a matter between you and the freelancers you hire. Upwork is not a party to the contracts when you hire freelancers. Freelancers you hire through Upwork are not employees of Upwork.

If you want to hire consultants about file security and other digital security topics, you may hire such people on Upwork.

0c8032db
Community Member

use VM

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths