🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: DATA ENTRY -DIGITAL MERKETER
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774

Hello sir i send you my exell file recenty i work it

thanks 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I am new in the community

When will I get my first job

Dear community please review my profile and check if am on the right track. I seriously need this job

moiz444
Community Member

Hello, 

I want to know that How can i Get my first job on upwork?

As a freelancer, a newbie.. how do you survive the competition with veterans?, how did you think your first client will find you? Do you just sit and wait for clients to find you or you have other options?

Let me know what you think/do.

how

Just a summary of your activities in getting your first client 

I update my portfolio, including work I did in college, and link to my blog. Hopefully, someone will find it and so I can do a travel blog/journalism. I like to find niche subjects and phenomenons to talk about.

Don't waste time and money chasing fake online jobs, get the real job in real life

Hey all,

I am new to upwork, but have worked for 11 years previously. 

I have created a profile, purchased upwork plus, and have submitted 20 proposals in the last 3 days. I landed one $7 unfinished contract - but other than that all of my proposals have gone unviewed (with exception of 1 where I wasn't selected).

I am going to keep at it - but it had been a little discouraging so far. Will see where I'm at in a month, but would like to be able to freelance my mathematics and data skills and use this as my payment full time. 

Any and all tips are extremely appreciated. 

Best,

Janson

Profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f8619af169b2c6b2

elisa_b
Community Member

If I were you, I would stop paying for the Plus plan and buy connects as needed. 

You must be very good at what you do, but your profile is quite unappealing. I mean, it is like reading a CV, while you should take advantage of your profile to make a good impression on the client and explain how you will address their needs (instead of talking only about you).

There is a course in the Academy section about profile optimization. And in case you haven't, please learn how to avoid scammers - they are countless nowadays. Best of luck.

7b559b21
Community Member

Hey Elisa,

Thank you for the feedback on my unappealing profile. I have re-worked my profile this morning and am hopeful it makes a better impression from the client perspective. Would you be able to check and see if I'm on the right track with this update? Best, Janson
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f8619af169b2c6b2

Hello, Fellow are you fine? I am fine too and Today, I am a new member of this platform or community.

First of all, I would like to say Heartly thanks to the Upwork platform & our community because we are sharing our questions and getting answers binding each other as close friends.

Best wishes!

Just getting started with UpWork.  What is your experience with this organization?

Any tips are appreciated.

Ed

Hey Ed. I read your profile. It's nicely written but kind of sparse in how exactly you intend to help. Do you help improve websites? Purchasing? Staffing? ISO certification? Listing specifics will get you higher in the searches. For the projects you seem to be going after, higher education is a plus. List any degrees you have. Good luck! Chris

Hello, in this case, just beware of scams, choose jobs that are payment verified and have been on the platform for a while, is what I would advise. Choose jobs wisely when applying, as most jobs are now 8 - 16 connects but the platform offers only 10 connects per month if you're on the basic plan. Also, read all tips on the platform as they can be very helpful when setting up your account. As per Upwork, for every 5 jobs you apply to, you might get one reply, hope this helps, Best,

Hi, I am here to talk about how I never got any clients. I've been a freelancer for a long time in upwork and

I use all my conncects just to apply but I never got any call or message from any of the people I sent my applications.

I am a Quantity Surveyor Estimator and I am looking for a part time job. But I notice I never really have a goood result. 

Can anyone tell me how I can have a  client or how I cant attract clients? I send profiles and sample of my work but I don't know if it's enough. I even attache my cv if necessary.  

Is there anyone interested to hire? Im really desperate to look for a job.  Can anyone help me? Thank you. 

Hi Yvonne,

Your profile is set to private, so it's hard for me to give you any specific feedback.

I don't know much about construction but with something as niche as that (assuming you want to use those skills here), it seems best fit for consulting work. There is also some research to be done on whether or not the clients that would want such services are even on here. 

I have many ideas for how to get clients and I'm fairly successful at it even though I've been on here for less than a year. My general guidelines are:

* In your proposals, the clients see the first two sentences only. Make them count. Don't waste time with fluff or pleasantries. Grab their attention with something usual or why you would be an amazing hire like "I've overseen over 100 property construction projects, I made this video discussing my approach to [INSERT PROJECT HERE]." Record a Loom video and add the link. Assuming that would be a sensible thing to do of course (again, I know nothing about construction). 

* Go after clients that have a consistent history of spending and don't go after the "I want an expert with 20 years experience for $25 type of clients".

* Use the search filter function to find these gigs, and save your filters once you have found one that surfaces good jobs routinely. 

* Don't be afraid of applying to jobs that have been open a while IF the client is consistently spending on the platform, they probably haven't found someone that wows them yet. Be that one. On the flip side, don't apply to old jobs from new clients, they probably just created on a whim and changed their mind.

There is a lot of other things to say here, but I'll try not to write a book as a response.

I've been on Upwork for years. I'm not sure what a Quantity Surveyor Estimator is or whether or not those types of jobs are common on Upwork. Maybe you could explore a different type of service to offer? Or if you want to stick with the same service, look for clients elsewhere. Where do your ideal clients spend their time on the internet? Which social media sites do they like? Are there any networking events in your local area? These are some questions to think about as you look for ways to put yourself out there and get clients.

Hi, I'm a freelance copywriter and a landing page designer. I joined Upwork in 2021 and till this day, I have been unable to secure my first job on the platform. I have sent multiple proposals, gotten a few invites (mostly scams), and burnt a lot of connects over the years. It's been really frustrating and I need help. I'll like to get suggestions on how I can my chances of landing a job soon. Please review my profile and let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Mastering Upwork as a Beginner Freelancer! 

Hey Folks!

As the gig economy continues to thrive, many professionals are turning to freelance platforms like Upwork to kickstart their careers or explore new opportunities. Today, we'll be diving into Upwork and offering valuable tips for beginners on how to land their first gig successfully!

1. Optimize Your Upwork Profile 

Your Upwork profile is your virtual business card. Make sure it showcases your skills, experiences, and passion. Use a professional photo and write a compelling headline and overview that highlights your expertise. Don't forget to add relevant skills and certifications to boost your profile's visibility.

2. Start with a Stellar Portfolio 

Even if you're just getting started, create a portfolio that showcases your best work samples. It could be previous projects, personal projects, or anything that demonstrates your abilities. Clients love to see tangible evidence of your skills and commitment.

3. Craft a Tailored Proposal 

When applying for gigs, avoid generic proposals. Take the time to read the client's requirements carefully and address them in your proposal. Explain how your skills align with their needs and why you're the best fit for the job. Personalization can go a long way!

4. Be Competitive Yet Realistic 

As a beginner, it's essential to set competitive rates to attract clients. But remember, undervaluing your skills can lead to burnout and unsatisfactory outcomes. Find a balance between competitive pricing and fair compensation for your expertise.

5. Start Small, Build Trust 

Landing your first gig might take time, but don't get discouraged. Be willing to take on smaller projects initially to build your reputation and gather positive reviews. Deliver exceptional results, and your clients will become your best advocates.

6. Communicate Effectively 

Clear and timely communication is crucial. Respond promptly to client messages, and keep them updated on the progress of the project. Good communication builds trust and paves the way for long-term collaborations.

7. Focus on Building Relationships 

While delivering quality work is essential, building strong client relationships is equally important. Satisfied clients are more likely to hire you again or recommend you to others, which can lead to a steady flow of projects.

8. Leverage Upwork's Resources 

Upwork offers a treasure trove of resources to help beginners succeed. Explore their webinars, blog posts, and forums to gain insights, improve your skills, and stay up-to-date with industry trends.

Remember, success on Upwork doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, dedication, and a persistence to continuous improvement. Embrace feedback, learn from experiences, and keep refining your craft.

If you have any questions or need advice, feel free to reach out! The LinkedIn community is here to support each other on this exciting freelance journey.

Best of luck to all the aspiring freelancers out there! :glowing_star:

Amir Khurshid

Someone please help me on how to acquire a software skill relating to finance and a more modern one 

Guys! My name is Saad and i am new to Upwork, Want to get started as soon as possible and get some clients but whenever i sent my proposal i don't get any type of response i don't know why.

Hello Muhammad,  I have same question with.  I think we have not found right way to explore the customers. 

I've tried finding the right clients but still no response just because i'm a newbie to upwork ?

Dear Maria:

Thanks for your support for the new persons to getting jobs and help to find out the information.

In your reply, you have discussed about the badges, are you agree to earn badges are valuable to get more importance in getting their jobs ?

Are you talking about these badges on the profile or any thing else ?

Screenshot is attached for your reference.

Regards.

Thats right.

Of course the focus on jobs is very important.

Having those badges shows you are taking your spare time to educate yourself to become more understanding of how to help your clients earn more profits. Which is the bottom line. The clients hire us, we make money, they make money with our skills.

The badges illustrate how involved we are in Upwork, it's community and clients.

I hope that helps explain.

The badges show on your profile as the clients are viewing them I believe.

I want work up work but now I am confusing how can I work

Watch the videos in 15 minutes sections.

Easier to understand.

Scroll to the top of this page

Follow word for word of what the  Moderator - Person who works for Upwork suggests.

If you do not watch the videos - you will never understand what to do.

Yes i read it already 

"Hashim" first of all warm welcome! you will learn many things here at this platform. prepare your profile well, write about your professional skills, education and degree. make sure your profile looks good and attractive. then seek for projects and make sure you submit connects on only newly projects that are uploaded in less than 1 hour. i hope these little things help you.

e230e754
Community Member

I am new here on upwork .kindly guide me how can i get a job here on upwork 

a86d9592
Community Member

i am a graphic designer i need a job

How can i join your team to work
9daad276
Community Member

How to achieve first job on up work

278b5e62
Community Member

Hello, I am Joyce. Would you please look at my profile and advice, accordingly?

b1749522
Community Member

Which work

1b573a49
Community Member

Hi Upwrokers,

I just created my profile and heard from folks that its difficult to get your first job on Upwork. Can you suggest how should I start on Upwork?

44d7bfd1
Community Member

i am sending proposal for for thos job which nedd only 2 connect to apply , is it a good way or i need to select job with higher connect?

dd4d9bff
Community Member

Dear Andrea G I accept your offer , 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths