🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Declining a proposal after interview and much...
Page options
aa4ebb46
Community Member

Declining a proposal after interview and much conversation.

Hi everyone. I am new at Upwork and I got my first response yesterday. When I send the proposal the job was so ambiguous and nothing was written in detail except the skills that matched totally with my skills.Knowing that I submit the proposal and got the response. from that till now I am trying to get a deep understanding of the project with the client through chat.
    My question is if for any reason, the work is more and the amount is less or anything else. I don't want to continue with the client or don't want to seal the deal. What should I do?
    What is the best practice to proceed so that the client doesn't get offensive?
    Moreover is there any chance that the client can give me a bad review although I didn't work with him?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
df602768
Community Member

Moreover is there any chance that the client can give me a bad review although I didn't work with him?

Nope. Unless there's a contract in place, a client cannot you give a positive or negative review.

My question is if for any reason, the work is more and the amount is less or anything else. I don't want to continue with the client or don't want to seal the deal. What should I do?

Just tell your client you don't feel you're the best fit for the job. Say you didn't know the exact scope of their project, and now that you know it and that there's more work involved than you initially thought, it'd be better for them to choose another freelancer. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
df602768
Community Member

Nope. Unless there's a contract in place, a client cannot you give a positive or negative review.

Just tell your client you don't feel you're the best fit for the job. Say you didn't know the exact scope of their project, and now that you know it and that there's more work involved than you initially thought, it'd be better for them to choose another freelancer. 

Thank you so much for your kind response.

256097bd
Community Member

Hello am also new here at upwork, its my first time sending a proposal and it's declined but I went a head to have chat with the client where I was given links to access the demo of the projects and the projects themselves that I were to work to with certain period of time.

I decided to chose one project which I was to finish in 3days but the client wanted me to pay security fee.. My question is, is it a must to pay security fee so as to get the job?? Am a bit confused because I thought here jobs are given out and freelancers are being paid after work completion not again freelancers paying to get the work given to them.

I need your comments please 🙏🙏

Did you have this conversation on Upwork? Most likely no because it is a scam. 
Do not take conversations off upwork unless you have a contract and never pay anyone to give you a job. IT IS A SCAM. 

Lastly, read Upwork TOS and you should be fine. 

aa4ebb46
Community Member

HI Ekwang,
    you are right you don't have to pay anything for the job. I am also new here but my understanding is no fees or anything.
Secondly, you can ask this in the new discussion bar with a title and mark your discussion as new and i hope so you will get a solution.

Best,
Muhammad usman

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths