🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Desktop Timer Flaw
Page options
netcio
Community Member

Desktop Timer Flaw

So, 1st time using the Desktop Timer and to me, there's a serious flaw. I have 3 screens, the selections for capturing screens is 1) active screen or 2) all screens. Now, when I work, many times there are things going on in my upwork work that run for a set period of time, ie scans, reports, etc. and if I decide to do something else on one of my other screens while those things are running(I'm still technically working as those scans are running, etc), like some report wriiting for my own business, or looking up some reference materials, etc. and the automated screenshot takes a screenshot on my active screen and I delete it because I don't want that screenshot on my timer, the upwork work timer will not record the time spent in my work timer. I'll have worked 90 minutes but because of the screenshot foopah the timer only shows 70 mins. That just plain sucks! If the client turns off manual time entry there is no way to get an accurate time recorded on the upwork timer. There should be a way to say, record all screens and then select the screen that has your work on it to record into the timer and delete the non work screens?

7 REPLIES 7
LuiggiR

Hi Jeff,

This isn't a flaw but rather that's how the app works by design. When you delete a screenshot taken by the app, either within the app itself or the Work Diary, you also delete that time segment’s activity. You may check here to learn more. Additionally, there's currently no way to do what you suggested regarding being able to select specific screens but your feedback is certainly well received and I'll be sure to share it with the team.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
netcio
Community Member

HI Luiggi

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it! And I do understand the timer, that is why I submitted the post. It sounds like, maybe it was put together quickly without consideration of all possible screen use scenarios involved. I do appreciate putting this into a wish list of sorts because at this time, the timer as is, is pretty much useless in 'my' current setup. Until such time, I will now use a separate stand alone computer when I work on upwork work and another with my current multiple screens so that i can do my other things that I don't want to show on the upwork timer and the standalone computer will ensure that all my time is accounted for.
Fixing the timer should be a very simple task and I look forward to a time when I can go back to a single computer for everything!

Jeff

petra_r
Community Member

It's really very simple.

The client pays you to work on their project. Nothing else. The client isn't paying you to "write reports for your own business" for example. How do you for a second think that's ok?

Jeff A wrote:

(I'm still technically working as those scans are running, etc)

No. You are not. Not "technically" or otherwise.

Anything that does not relate to the client's work should not be happening while you are tracking time.

This is not "a flaw" - this is the basis of the whole concept.

I agree with Petra. I would just add that sometimes while tracking time I'll quickly do something else, like checking my email inbox. If the tracker happens to take a snapshot during that time I'll either delete the segment from my work diary (and consider the loss perfectly fair), or I may leave it as is,  if I was only AWOL for a very short time and I think my client wouldn't object.

P.S. I suppose you can do whatever you and your client are both happy with. If your client doesn't mind you working in the way you've described, that's fine. Just leave the screen shot in place. But the fact that you feel the need to delete the screen shot suggests that you don't think your client would find it acceptable for you to charge them for that time.

Actually, Richard, it's not that, it's that it's really none of my clients business if I''m reading an email not part of the actual upwork work, just like you indicated that you'd drop if off the timer yourself. Sometimes, in IT, let's say I'm running a full system audit or testing the RAM or hard drive on a system, sometimes those tests can take a while. Also, if I'm transferring TB's of data, that can take hours. Again, you have to know the situation before you can reply to my particular circumstances.

But, now that I know how the timer works, I've just decided to use two systems - one for upwork and the nefarious timer and another for other things.

Thanks

Jeff

netcio
Community Member

Petra - What makes you think that what I said should be implied in that way! The timer 'should' allow the worker to select the screen where the work is going on. Obviously you don't work in IT, so you have no idea what you're saying. I try to teach my kids the popular phrase 'know what you don't know' so that you don't look or sound like you know what you're talking about when you don't.

In IT, a person can write a script and then run that script, during which time the script is working in the background, which I'm quasi watching like when one is cooking and watching a pot of stew or a cake in the oven, the tool is doing the work, but, the chef or technician needs to be aware of what's going on, again, if you don't understand the work involved you should hold back any comments. Again while I'm tending the pot(script) I can and WILL do other things, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that way of working. And I would chose not to have those alternate screens be on my timer - period.

Jeff

Jeff A wrote:

Petra - What makes you think that what I said should be implied in that way! The timer 'should' allow the worker to select the screen where the work is going on. Obviously you don't work in IT, so you have no idea what you're saying. I try to teach my kids the popular phrase 'know what you don't know' so that you don't look or sound like you know what you're talking about when you don't.

In IT, a person can write a script and then run that script, during which time the script is working in the background, which I'm quasi watching like when one is cooking and watching a pot of stew or a cake in the oven, the tool is doing the work, but, the chef or technician needs to be aware of what's going on, again, if you don't understand the work involved you should hold back any comments. Again while I'm tending the pot(script) I can and WILL do other things, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that way of working. And I would chose not to have those alternate screens be on my timer - period.

Jeff

Personally, I would be annoyed if I were the client and got charged for the full amount of time if a freelancer is only keeping an eye on my project and working on other things. But you can work in whatever way you and the client agree to, as long as you don't expect Upwork to provide you with payment protection if things go wrong (because they won't). And in that case, you may as well turn off the tracker and just enter your time manually. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths