🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Desktop app log in problem
Page options
lyndonwork
Community Member

Desktop app won't start

Ap won't start. "Browser or ap may not be secure." I have tried it with most recent updates of Firefox and Chrome -- and with trying to start the ap with no browser open.I've also verified Avast is updated.Using Windows 10. I can get on website, but it looks like I can't track time. Eager to start! -- This is my first day.I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the 64 bit standard, 64 bit beta and 32 bit standard, all of which stop in the login process.Would you like a screenshot? Any suggestions?

65 REPLIES 65
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lyndon,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article.  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

Thanks for the quick response.

I had read through the troubleshooting info earlier today -- but didn't see anything.  I'll try again to send info by the form.

And some time later the form took me right back here.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the trouble this caused, Lyndon!

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Many things are working -- and I'm appreciating the documentation. Also,
I'm quite patient. I had a turtle for a pet for 26 years ...

Hello
I had the same problem.
I cannot log in to my account on the desktop app. This happened after I selected authorization via Google.
Please, can you change this method of authorisation, or how can this problem be solved?
Thank you!

Eureka! Disconnecting from the Google account login, and logging in with
Upwork username and password worked! App in open, and will practice with
it later today.

I also found how to disable authorization via Google:
Profile Settings -> Connected services -> [Sign in with Google] Disconnecting

Thank you so much for posting your solution! I had the same issue, and found that disconnecting Google sign-in worked for me as well. 

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It worked for me too.... !!

I had the same issue, and found that disconnecting Google sign-in worked for me as well. I disconnecting Google Account through Web Interface:  Settings -> Connected services -> [Sign in with Google] Disconnect.

Thank you!

Tony

71f3b52c
Community Member

Good day I am having the same issue as Lyndon.

I have downloaded multiple versions for my HP laptop running windows, but no success. Once I enter my log in details it leaves me on a redirecting page.

Please advise.

Johnathan

Hi Johnathan,

Could you please share a screenshot of the error you`re experiencing on your end? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
marieann_sass
Community Member

Hi, 

I have downloaded the desktop app in my laptop but I couldn't log in or proceed using my email.  It says browser or app may not be secure.  I also removed the anti-virus and tried re-installing the app numerous times but still getting the same error. 

Appreciate your help.  Thank you.

Hi Marie,

Please bear with us as this may take a little time to get information since we’re waiting on a response from another team. We appreciate your patience and will update you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Marie,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and for the delay in getting a response to you. I shared your issue with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
46e6c7b0
Community Member

Hi!   I can't get logged in on the dekstop app when trying to log in via google.   Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 9.10.54 PM.png

Hi Jean,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I shared your issue with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
naimul47
Community Member

Dear Concern

Help me to login in desktop app for linux host ubuntu 18.04 LTS?
      Below is the screen shot...

Couldn't sign you inCouldn't sign you in

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Naimul, 

Could you please check if disconnecting from the Google account log-in, and logging in with your Upwork username will resolve the issue for you? 

~ Avery
Upwork
f6d3c3b9
Community Member

I have a problem logging in to the upwork desktop app via my Google account.

It continues to show that the app is dangerous and that I should try refreshing and try again,

but I've been getting the same message every time I tried to log in after refreshing and restarting.

Could you please help me? What can I do to resolve this?

1- restart your phone or windows this is simply then enter setting, account, enter your email and password on google if not.

2- clear your catches in your mobile ( if that problem from your mobile) and restart the device again .

3- lastly ( if this from your pc) reinstalling any browser application like (firefox-....)

Hi Milica,

Just to confirm, have you already connected your Google account, under Settings > Connected Services so that you can log in to the app?
Could you also please try signing up with your email/username and let me know if you`re experiencing the same problem? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes, I connected my Google account under Settings > Connected Services.

When I try logging in using my username, it shows just welcome, but it just freezes, it doesn't open the app.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you for the follow up Milica,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with logging in to the desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you!

f5aac7fa
Community Member

I've downloaded the desktop app to track time and when i try to log into it on Chrome and Safari i get this message everytime which is annoying bc i need to track time for my jobs.  Please lmk what to do?!?! Refreshing the screen doesn't help.  I also have no problem signing into my acct on safari and on chrome.  it's just the stand alone app. 

Thanks
wes 
This browser or app may not be secure.
Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in.

I think I read somewhere that the Upwork Time Tracker does not work with Chrome. I use it with safari on my Mac and have had no problems.

Hi Wes,

Could you please send me a screenshot of the error so I can include it in my report to the team? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
f5aac7fa
Community Member

Please let me know what to do?

Hi Wes,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I can't log in to the desktop app. Whenever I try to type in my email or username, I get this message:

Couldn't sign you in
This browser or app may not be secure.
Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in.

Has anyone else seen this? How did you get through it?

Hi Carl,

Could you please check if disconnecting from the Google account log-in, and logging in with your Upwork username will resolve the issue for you?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

That did it! Thank you, Aleksandar.

please i am new to upwork, i have a windows 7 operating system. The upwork desktop app is not installing. It says browser or app out of date. please what do i do? should i upgrade to windows 10? will it work there and is any one using it on windows 7 or 8

What browser do you use? Try chrome https://www.google.com/chrome/

It is chrome i use, it still isnt working.

Click this link download if your Windows is 64 bit.
And, Click this link if your Windows is 32 bit.
You should be able to install it after the download is complete!

it installed now but when i click the app to open it says app or browser
outdated and i have my browser already updated.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths