🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Desktop app won't start
Page options
lyndonwork
Community Member

Desktop app won't start

Ap won't start. "Browser or ap may not be secure." I have tried it with most recent updates of Firefox and Chrome -- and with trying to start the ap with no browser open.I've also verified Avast is updated.Using Windows 10. I can get on website, but it looks like I can't track time. Eager to start! -- This is my first day.I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the 64 bit standard, 64 bit beta and 32 bit standard, all of which stop in the login process.Would you like a screenshot? Any suggestions?

65 REPLIES 65

Hi Ubah,

I shared your concern with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

ok thanks, looking forward to that.

Hello,

I am new to Upwork. I could not log in Upwork Desktop even though try some tips from the forumn but does not take effect. I  have logged in Google with my account successfully prio.

After entering gmail ID, I click join as Google account and it keeps spinning forever and not able to log-in. (please see attached snapshot).

I am using:

- Upwork Desktop app: v5.3.3.862 for Windows 64bit

- Brower: Google Chrome.

- This issue happens on both of my PC: Windows 7 and Windows 10

Please help.

Thank you,

Binh

Hi Binh,

We identified an issue and our team is working on resolving it as soon as possible. In the meantime, you should be able to log into your Desktop app by following these steps:

Please go to Settings>Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In.
Afterwards, please try to log into your Desktop app by using your username/account email address and your password.

Feel free to follow up on this thread and confirm if you were able to log in or if you need further assistance.

~ Joanne
Upwork
bebacf25
Community Member

Hello,

Cool, it works for me.
What should I do If I have just worked two hours without time tracking. I
talk to my client and he is just okay since he got the desired delivery.

So I can I add two hours work in the past to the time tracking?

Thanks,
Binh

Hi Binh,

In this case you can add your time as Manual time. 

To add manual time from the Time Tracker:

1. Open the Upwork Desktop App and select the contract
  2. Click the Add manual time option
  3. Select the date and times, add a description of the work, and click Save

To learn more about Manual time, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello Goran and Joanna,

Thank you for your quick response and guidance.
I am able to log in now in both PCs. Very nice.
I am new to Upwork, need to learn more from our Community.
My project is locked for manual time. I have requested my client.

Cheers,
Binh

Hi Binh,

How your Upwork Desktop? Did it open already for you? Same problem with me. I can't login in my Upwork desktop. Please let me know what you did so I can do it also.

Thank you! 🙂

Hi Kimberly,

Have you tried the steps that Avery shared with you on the post from yesterday?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I'm experiencing the same problem. I've tried it on different browsers already (Chome, Safari & Firefox). I really need to log in because I recently just got hired. Any help will be appriciated.

This has been going on at least since late December.  The remedy has been to disconnect from logging in via Google and log in with your Upwork user name and password.

also found how to disable authorization via Google:
Profile Settings -> Connected services -> [Sign in with Google] Disconnecting

Any ETA of the problem being fixed in code -- or instructions updated with a trouble-shooting ttip?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lyndon, 

Please know that this issue is being prioritized by our engineers. Our team will update the Community should there are more information that we can share here. Thank you for your patience. 

~ Avery
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi AK, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern.

~ Avery
Upwork
b46cc442
Community Member

Every time I try to log in to the app, it asks if I have a google account, I try to login through Gmail account and it gets stuck on the Redirecting page and never loads. 

I have tried to delete the cache memory from the app, my pc and everywhere.

I have tried reinstallation

Nothing is working. Please I need help. I have one Hourly project and I can't start my hours.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sharoon, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please log in to your Upwork account through a browser, go to your Connected Services page in your Settings page (Settings > Connected Services) and disassociate your Google account from your Upwork account. Once done, please log in to your desktop app with your Upwork credentials to see if the issue persists. 

~ Avery
Upwork
b46cc442
Community Member

Hi Avery, Thank you very much for the solution. IT worked 🙂

My app is working perfectly fine now.

Thank you very much

The solution for now is to NOT try to log in by gmail. Instead log in by
the Upwork user name and password.

b5de5532
Community Member

Somehow, my desktop app is not responding at all. 

There was no installation error, installed successfully. While trying to start, sometimes it stucks at connection error or after successful login, nothing appears on screen except "one moment plz' message and that is endless..!

Had tried reinstalling the app, no use.

Disabled firewall and antivirus, No use.

Tried running the as an Administrator. No Use

Changed default browser to Google. No Use.

Checked the Internet speed, its good. You tube videos with 1080 HD could run flawlessly. 

Cheked Websocket connectivity, its good.All Green.

Upwork error First .jpg

After clicking on 'Check Connection' , following message is displayed 

Check failed.
Please contact customer support and provide copy of the error below.

Checking step 1...
Step 1 succeeded!
Checking step 2...
Step 2 succeeded!
Checking step 3...
Error:
{"status":0,"statusText":"NetworkError","allResponseHeaders":[],"responseURL":"","response":"Failed to execute 'send' on 'XMLHttpRequest': Failed to load 'https://desktopapp.upwork.com/scripts/app.js?_=1585765056208'."}

Upwork error.jpg

Can anybody please help me to sort out this problem.

I am not able to use the desktop app at all.

Hi Sandeep,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and thank you for the detailed report. 
I`ve escalated your problem to our team and one of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

Thank you for the update Sandeep. If you have any additional questions, let me know.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi there,

Problem is solved after I disabled my google account connection.
Logging through UserID and password worked.

Thanks for your quick response though.
Really appreciate it

Regards !
-Sandeep
nacho98
Community Member

Hello, i have problem with desk app too, i am not connected with google account, but every time when i try to start app, this happens.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nusret,

Could you please connect to another internet connection and check if you`re experiencing the same problem with the desktop app? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I tried, it is the same thing again, this start this morning, i didnt have this problem before.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for the follow up, Nusret.

Could you also try reinstalling our app if you still haven't tried? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I tried reinstall, then try install 32 bit, after that again install 64 bit, restart my laptop and problem is still here.

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nusret,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with the desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths