cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining if a company is legitimate

Ian B Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
1 of 9

I've just gone through my first interview process with a company. They said they want to hire me and are going to send me a computer with all of the necessary software. Plus they have sent me a check for $1800 to deposit through my banking app to buy a printer and additional needed software. This has all happened in one day and is starting to feel like a scam. The job was posted by **Edited for Community Guidelines** and in the reply message he told me the company was called **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Through online searches, it appears that they make electrical devices for boats. My questions are: Does anyone have any experience with this company? How can I find out if this is a scam?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 9

It's a scam - report/flag the job so Upwork can look at it and take it down.

Ian B Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
3 of 9

Thank you

Community Guru
4 of 9

@Ian B wrote:

Thank you

You're welcome - if you're new here, you may want to read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 9

Here are some red flags to avoid and report:

Interview on Google Hangouts

Not paying through Upwork

Requiring you to spend money in some way to work for them; Sending you a check for equipment or whatever

Requesting personal information - Upwork already has it, the client doesn't need it

Offering benefits like insurance, etc.  Freelancers do NOT get benefits ever.

Using the name of a well known company and sometimes an actual employee of that company

Upaid tests, unpaid samples

Looking to hire dozens of freelancers

Be sure that your profile doesn't say that you are new to Upwork - they pick up on that really quickly.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 9

Hi Ian,

Thanks for reporting. We'll review and take appropriate actions. Please, check out the post others linked on this thread to help you avoid questionable jobs in the future.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Stephanie F Member Since: Apr 13, 2017
7 of 9

I received a message through Upwork to interview on Google Hangout. It was a Google Chat online briefing. **Edited for Community Guidelines** They offered employment and asked how would I like to receive my payroll. I informed them I wanted payment to go through Upwork. She said ok. I tried to call the company but only got a voicemail. I was shocked that they didn't interview via video. They stated they would send a provisional check to set up my mini office and I had to buy from their vendor. My first thought was why would they send a check versus a purchase order if its a vendor they normally do business with. It just doesn't pass the smell test. These companies need to be better screened as well as verified.

Community Guru
8 of 9

Upwork cannot screen every single job post - most experienced freelancers know what to look for and avoid these scammy posts.

Flag the job so Upwork can take it down, and then do yourself a favor and read up:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Stephanie,

The job you are referring to has already been removed by Upwork team. Thank you for reporting.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS