🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Did i almost get scammed?
Page options
adcc938b
Community Member

Did i almost get scammed?

Hello everyone! I'm brand new at this and just sent my resume along with 3 extra bids and got an email almost immediately thru up link. When I clicked to respond it told me the room was empty. Then I got refunded my credits for boosting because he closed the job. Does this happen after you've been hired? Or when they think they found a sucker to scam? This was for a bookkeeping position and he wanted me to set up a Skype to do a written interview?  I've never worked thru an agency before so i have a lot to learn! I also have my email address and phone number on my resume is that a no no here? I thank you all have an advance...

12 REPLIES 12
allpurposewriter
Community Member

Susan,

I probably have your email address and phone number around here somewhere -- just kidding. But I certaily wouldn't worry to much about that.

I will say all the vetran Upworkers jump up and down when you mention you will talk to someone on Skype prior to having a signed contract. Upwork forbids this, clearly to protect their revenue stream,  but moving off platform also moves you away from some very, very important protections Upwork has in place. My other thought on Skype is that this is exactly where scammers (two, but I'm a slow learner) steered me into trouble when I first started out here. Nothing wrong with Skype, but being lured out of Upwork's system is, for me, all but conclusively a road to digital sin and degradation. 

Back to that phone number and email ... I wouldn't worry about it, but I would scratch that off my resume if any client on this site wanted to see it. I think personal privacy ended sometime in the 1990s -- simply wiped off the face of the Earth. But I wouldn't tempt fate, either ... (cue ominous organ music ...) 

Lol thanks for the awesome response Anthony!  I appreciate the feedback, just found it so odd that he posted last night, I was one of 4 applicants but the room was empty when I went to respond.  I couldn't figure out why he took down the ad before we even did a skype....I hear the dark organ music now!

Because somebody else flagged the job posting and upwork took it down. 

Communicating outside of upwork before hire is a serious violation of ToS, 

Thanks so much Martina, I appreciate your help!

As a veteran freelancer, it's a good idea to let newbies know that pre-contract interviews off of Upwork can get their accounts suspended and are 99.9% certain to be scams; protecting Upwork's revenue stream is not the salient point here. Jumping up and down is optional, although I do like to get my daily exercise.

Scammed? Please refill to ask guides in help & supports service for your inquiries details. Give some feedback results.

Yes, I'll have to read the tutorials...I didn't know about them until yesterday, I'm learning a lot right now.  Thank you!

Thanks, Susan for posting this. I have also discovered something new.

Elizabeth, the struggle is real!  There's so many of them out there😡

Thanks Christine!  I'm glad somebody flagged it, it looked legit to me - until the email lol

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Susan, always stay on Upwork's site and never go off and you will not get scammed. Your email and phone number should be removed from a CV on Upwork. Thanks and have an awesome day!

Thank you William, I will make sure to remove in the future!  I hope you have a great day as well!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths