cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty to get job.

Victor A Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
1 of 15

Hello!

I'm kinda new here on Upwork (about 1 month) and i just got 1 job. I have read much about strategies and ways to get a nice profile, to write a good proposal and so on, i think i've tried everything i can to get jobs, but it seems to be worthless, so i'm here humbly asking for some help, anything i might be doing wrong.

I won't lie, i'm really frustrated about it, but i will find a way out!

Sincerely,

Victor

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 15

Victor:

I don't see any glaring problems with your profile page.

I think your biggest problem is that you're new and it can take time to get started.

I don't really like seeing Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word listed as some of your job skills, because I think it takes away from the focus of your page. But those are minor quibbles.

Keep at it. Focus on specialization. Be the absolute master of a very specific niche skill.

3 of 15

Thanks!

Ace Contributor
Cesare D Member Since: Feb 4, 2017
4 of 15

Hi Victor,

I don't think you should have taken that $5 job. It makes you come off as cheap, but that's just me. Also, there are a lot of data entry/Excel freelancers doing your same exact job for a lot less than your current hourly rate. I'd lower your hourly rate OR find a very specific niche if I were you.

You should take more tests (there is no definite number, but I'd advise at least 4-5 with good scores). Your "English Spelling Test (U.S. Version)" is Below Average which is a red flad in the client's eyes. You should hide it.

5 of 15

Thanks man!

Lars P Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
6 of 15

Hey Victor, I'm even newer than you.

I have the same problem. For days now have I checked for a response on those 10 proposals I sent out. Nothing yet. Am I doing anything wrong, I thought?

Well I stopped by here at the community, on my way to support, for asking if they could check if my profile was working...But based on your post I kind of understand that if you are not hired once you're rolling it upphill...

Thanks for the advice though.

/Lars

Ace Contributor
Cesare D Member Since: Feb 4, 2017
7 of 15

Hi Lars, 

There's nothing in your profile that makes me go "wow, this guy is a real expert". If I were you I would split your 3D renderings into multiple portfolio pieces (by the way, they're really great!) so that clients can have a peek at these very easily without having to click on any portfolio piece. Take a few more tests and hide your bad English test score.

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
8 of 15
I think everyone gave you great advice, but imo It's kind of a hit or miss for us newbies lol

and yea, I made the mistake of charging too low (because everyone says newbies have to do that) and I regret it.
it'll be extremely hard to land a good job as a newbie, but again aiming too low reflects really bad on your profile and it might make it even harder to get a good job when you're not a newbie anymore

good luck!
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 15

@Reem H wrote:
I think everyone gave you great advice, but imo It's kind of a hit or miss for us newbies lol

and yea, I made the mistake of charging too low (because everyone says newbies have to do that) and I regret it.
it'll be extremely hard to land a good job as a newbie, but again aiming too low reflects really bad on your profile and it might make it even harder to get a good job when you're not a newbie anymore

good luck!

Reem, I really wish you'd stop repeating that line about how "everyone says" newbies should charge low. Because pretty much no one here in this forum ever says that. And by repeating that in nearly all of your posts you're spreading this "fact" to other newbies and soon every newbie will believe that "everyone says" newbies should charge low when NO ONE here says that.

Lars P Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
10 of 15
Thx a lot for the input. I appreciate it.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS