cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discouraged about JSS and Rising Talent requirements

Highlighted
Roger S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
1 of 5

I'm new to UpWork, and trying to land my first job. But I'm getting very discouraged -- it seems like about 98% of all job prospects require either a JSS of "At least 90%" or the Rising Talent designation (which Upwork has suspended, so it's currently impossible to aquire).

How can I get a JSS of 90% if I cannot find any clients willing to entertain my proposals?

Yes, I've found a few who did not require those qualifications. I have entered proposals, but am not hearing back from any of them (some sounded rather flakey to begin with).

I'm getting a bit discouraged -- can anyone give me suggestions on how to find jobs which do not require JSS of 90% or the Rising Talent designation? Is there a way to filter out those in searches?

Many thanks!

Roger Spendlove

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 5

Roger,

Those are default options that clients don't bother changing. You can still submit bids on those jobs. We all started at zero and a great many of us never had a "rising talent" badge.

It can happen quickly, or it can take time. Just keep at it.

ETA: It may help if you add a least a few portfolio pieces to your profile.

Highlighted
Roger S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
3 of 5

Thanks for the encouragement, Virginia!

I did not know I coold still submit proposals ragardless of the JSS and Rising talent qualifications. They wat they are presented on UpWork, they looked like qualifications that would automatically reject my attempt to submit.  Good to know that is not true!

I'm having a hard time selecting something to post in my Portfolio, as 100% of my work is for my current FT employer, and I doubt the'd give permission to post the work outside of their client/community.

Thanks!

Roger S.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 5

Roger, I wouldn't worry about your portfolio. I've never had one on Upwork, and it's never caused me any trouble (we are in similar fields). It is important, though, that you come up with a few relevant samples that you can attach to your proposals--even if you have to create something specifically for that purpose.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 5

@Roger S wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement, Virginia!

I did not know I coold still submit proposals ragardless of the JSS and Rising talent qualifications. They wat they are presented on UpWork, they looked like qualifications that would automatically reject my attempt to submit.  Good to know that is not true!

I'm having a hard time selecting something to post in my Portfolio, as 100% of my work is for my current FT employer, and I doubt the'd give permission to post the work outside of their client/community.

Thanks!

Roger S.

You're welcome. You have a great profile and I'm sure things will happen. Freelancing requires patience and a thick skin.