🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Do I have to do the Billing method if I'm jus...
Page options
9fa9ad0f
Community Member

Do I have to do the Billing method if I'm just a freelancer?

I'm a freelancer and new to Upwork. I have 2 questions:

1. I did a payment method - direct to my local bank but it has an "inactive" status. Why is it inactive?

2. I'm a freelancer and I don't need to hire any freelancer, do I have to do the Billing method?

Thanks for supporting.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Ngo,

You will need to complete a W8BEN Foreign Status Certification for your payment method to become active. 

Could you please try to complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to

confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Regarding your second question. To be able to purchase Connects or a membership plan, you’ll need to add a Billing Method to your account. You can find more information here.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NikolaS

Hi Ngo,

You will need to complete a W8BEN Foreign Status Certification for your payment method to become active. 

Could you please try to complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to

confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Regarding your second question. To be able to purchase Connects or a membership plan, you’ll need to add a Billing Method to your account. You can find more information here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
9fa9ad0f
Community Member

Got it! Thanks a lot

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths