🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Do I have to win a job before I can recei...
Page options
tom-chandler
Community Member

Do I have to win a job before I can receive an invitation to become a Rising Talent freelancer?

I have looked at the 'Become a Rising Talent' web page.  If I am reading it correctly it seems I have to win a job before Upwork will invite me to become a Rising Talent freelancer.  Is that correct?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thomas C wrote:

Thanks Nichola, that is helpful. 

Curious if you have any suggestions for me?  I have been on Upwork for over a month, have submitted 30 proposals, and so far no one has invited me to an interview.  I have 20+ years' experience, and I think I am crafting good proposals for each job.  Perhaps the problem is I am in Silicon Valley where rates are higher than the rest of the country.  Even so, I am surprised that no prospective client has even invited me to an interview.

It may take time. Your rates are high level, but stick with them and only send proposals to top clients. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
yeasir_arafat_13
Community Member

No, having a job is not a requirement for Rising talent program.

Thank you for the quick reply.  I am curious then, what do I need to do receive an invitation?

Thomas C wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply.  I am curious then, what do I need to do receive an invitation?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is a pretty random affair. It's more important to get the gigs, which you probably will without that ephemeral badge. It only lasts for a while anyway and once you get a JSS it is taken away.

All your jobs at the beginning will eventually lead and count for or against a good JSS rating, so do NOT go for badly paid gigs just to get a foot in the door. Bottom feeders are a notoriously discontented lot and will shaft you. So be patient and get top people who will appreciate your skills with appropriate pay and feedback, and you will soon have a nice shiny top-rated badge (which for some reason looks the same as the inferior rising talent badge and IMO it shouldn't!). 

Curious if you have any suggestions for me?  I have been on Upwork for over a month, have submitted 30 proposals, and so far no one has invited me to an interview.  I have 20+ years' experience, and I think I am crafting good proposals for each job.  Perhaps the problem is I am in Silicon Valley where rates are higher than the rest of the country.  Even so, I am surprised that no prospective client has even invited me to an interview.

Thomas C wrote:

It may take time. Your rates are high level, but stick with them and only send proposals to top clients. 

mtngigi
Community Member

Thomas C wrote:

I have looked at the 'Become a Rising Talent' web page.  If I am reading it correctly it seems I have to win a job before Upwork will invite me to become a Rising Talent freelancer.  Is that correct?

To add to Nichola's excellent advice - "rising talent" on a profile such as yours might raise eyebrows. You are way beyond that status. A vast majority of us never had that moniker (it's a fairly new program) and did just fine without it.

Frankly, what they use to determine who gets that badge is suspect anyway (IMHO).

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths